Is this normal?

davidmedina

It probably is but I want to make sure.

When I triple click on a verse in the ESVS New testament, let say John, it opens Mounce Greek Dictionary.

But is I triple click in the same word in the KJVS it opens to the Strong's Greek Dictionary.

If both Bibles are tagged with strong numbers why does the KJVS opens of Strongs while the ESVS open up Mounce? Shouldn't both open Mounce as it is my priority or first Greek dictionary?

Thanks

Hi David,

Have a look under Amplify Shortcuts and there under Triple-Click.

Triple click opens the related dictionary for a keyed text. I don't know how "related" is configured but I don't see a way for a user to choose it in prefs.So I suspect its up to the module developers but I don't know.

Shift-triple click the first English tool in your lib that contains the word.

Thx

D

This has come up in the forum before. Keyed texts are tied to certain Greek and Hebrew dictionaries that users cannot change. You can then amplify to your preferred lexicon or dictionary, but you have to take the extra steps. This is an exception to triple click opening the top tool in a category.

Thanks Michael. I thinks this should be standardize so the expected behavior is always the same and not dependent as to when things were tagged or made. Otherwise it creates an inconsistent and unpredictable user experience.

In key numbered texts you have an added layer not visible to the reader. Someone (or more like a group) other than the translator (definitely someone different in the case of the KJV!) went back and tried to link the English word to a Greek or Hebrew word to some form of the original. That back translation introduces another degree of variability. They attempt to get into the minds of the version translator. Hence they are imperfect back translations of base translations that are also imperfect.

Strong's dictionaries use numbers to identify original language words. Greek is numbered G1 to G5624, Hebrew & Aramaic H1 to H8674. Mounce and Kohlenberger/Mounce use a different numbering system, Goodrick-Kohlenberger, G1 to G6061 and H1 to H10799. Look at these newer dictionaries. They give both the Strong and the G-K numbers.

But the systems, while overlapping, are different. Sometimes the Strong's number is the same as the G-K number, but other times it is not. The newer system has many more numbers.

All the keyed number texts have to pick one of the two systems. That is why (I think; I do not prepare texts for Accordance) each key numbered text is tied to a specific set of dictionaries. KJVS and ESVS are tagged using different numbering systems, Strong's and GK respectively. Accordance's behavior is logical. It is showing you the dictionaries appropriate to the system employed in the back translation.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

Thanks Michael.

De nada.