Daily Bible Readings

jwarthman

I'm a new Accordance user, and still trying to get my bearings with this excellent software.

I'm also new to Bible study, and I wish to use Accordance to, essentially, read through the entire Old and New Testaments, with some study of notes and commentaries as I go. From time to time, I expect to dwell in areas of special interest, and read more material to help my study.

The Daily Bible Readings module seems useful. I'd like to hear from those who favor either the Devotional Arrangement or the Chronological Arrangement. What are the advantages of each?

I think it would be better to start reading with January 1, even though I'm starting in mid-year. Or is there some reason I should start "in the middle"? Related to this, does Accordance offer any simple tool to either re-label the readings to correspond to when I'm actually reading them, or to quickly mark them as I read them, so I can quickly identify the next day's passages?

Last but not least, has anyone found (or constructed) a tool that would use the Catholic Daily Missal as an alternative index to the Daily Bible Readings?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Enjoy!

-- Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Jim:

I found something that might help you. Personally, I have been reading the "Daily Lectionary" that is from the Book of Common Worship (PCUSA). It seems to be based on the Anglican daily reading model with a few changes.

The great thing about this is that the daily reading chunks are manageable for me-- in a three year cycle you read almost the entire Bible once; Psalms and the Gospels two-three times and the NT almost twice.

As of last month, PCUSA put up PDF files with the references for each day for the next 6 months.

http://www.pcusa.org/devotions/lectionary/lectionarylist.htm

I just copy the references into the Accordance search window and I'm set. In addition, I'm starting to put them into a User Tool and create the generic 3-year cycle.

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

Rich

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the PCUSA website, etc. I just found that their Daily Lectionary works for me and has blessed me.

Rich,

Thanks much! I like your approach of a User Tool that contains a personal reading plan.

I downloaded the August lectionary, and it looks interesting. But I'm concerned about using it as the basis of a reading plan. I think I'd rather have a lesson plan of some sort that says to start "here", and read this book, then this book, then this book, etc. The lectionary provides several different things to read each day, and I worry that I'd lose the continuity from day to day.

In any case, thanks very much for your suggestion. It's exactly the sort of thing I'm interested in hearing, and discussing further.

Enjoy!

-- Jim

If you miss a few days, yep, you can lose context! I like it because you read from both the Old and New testaments everyday.

Here is something else that you may be interested in:

http://www.bibleplan.org/c2/niv/

I found this plan to read the bible through chronologially in one year. You could copy the references into a User Tool and break it up into the chucks you're comfortable reading through. You could read it through in 2 or 3 years-- the important thing is you're reading through the Scriptures!

Blessings,

Rich

I just copy the references into the Accordance search window and I'm set. In addition, I'm starting to put them into a User Tool and create the generic 3-year cycle.

When you're done, I'd certainly like to have a copy...

• 1 year later...

Howdy.

First activity EVER on a posting. New accordance user. Very powerful application, but I think I've found an interesting 'gap'.

Started using Quickverse back in 1991 vs 2, on Windows 3.1. QV had both a searching function and a bookmarking function. The bookmark function was a permanent marking option. This way, I could have several bookmarks that were permanent/manageable that would allow me to read through any section or study without losing context with other bookmarks or searches. I also had a history of searches (There was an option to save 'n' searches).

I have a very intentional study plan that I am working through, and it is not at all similar to the daily devotionals.

I want to read to a point, make my comments up to that point, and store the location that I ended my readings. I have about 7 of these readings going on at all times, not including separate bible studies, points of interest, etc.

What I would like is a "named" bookmark that would move as I select and move it. It wouldn't lose context. It would automatically save on all Bibles, or on Bibles that I specifically identify. I am able to manage about 15 to 20 named markers before losing the ability to track and manage them.

Short of manually managing a text editor or word processor to track my most recent readings, then having to manually search to that location, I would like to simply mark it on my open Bible, grab it with the mouse and "move it" to the next text section, or, go to the text section, choose "Bible Marker" and then select from the available "named" bible markers, or create a new bible marker.

The next time I open Accordance, and begin my study, I would simply "goto" an active "named bible marker" and it would open my default bible, or the currently open bible to that text reference.

BTW, I would name my bible markers as follows as follows:

• Daily reading 1
  • Daily reading 2
  • Daily reading 3
  • Daily reading 4
  • Daily reading 5
  • Daily reading 6
  • Daily reading 7
  • Nature of Man
  • Promises of Abraham
  • Names of God

I would expect other users to have completely different naming conventions, but wouldn't it be nice to customize based on how we use it?

etc...

Is there any functional way to accomplish this in Accordance?

Cam

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to try saving your place as a "Session" instead of a bookmark. You can give your session a name, and create as many as you want. Just press "command-o" to open any of your saved sessions. When you've moved to a new place in your session, save it... giving it with the same name in order to overwrite your old session.

It's a little cumbersome, but at least it will allow you to save your place in all your windows.

Mark Allison

I'm a new Accordance user, and still trying to get my bearings with this excellent software.

The Daily Bible Readings module seems useful. I'd like to hear from those who favor either the Devotional Arrangement or the Chronological Arrangement. What are the advantages of each?

I have been reading through the Bible for many years. I never liked the 'devotional approach' because the topics overlap, and you never get a sense that you have read an entire book. When I was younger, I would reach straight-through the Bible from Gen to Revelation. That approach isn't all bad except... things can get rather dry in Numbers and simiar areas. Also, you can't really emphasize areas of New Testament that might appeal to you. For about 15 years, I have typically have an Old Testament section which is usually about 3 chapters per day (in order) such that I get throught the Old Testament yearly. It works out that you "hit" Haggai with its prophecy about Christ's Advent around Christmas. Typically, I read one NT chapter daily, which gets me finished around September. I pick different sections to read during the fall.

I'm not from a Catholic background, so I can't give you any advice to incorporate into liturgy. There are times when I fall behind in my reading -- and I always pick up WHERE I SHOULD be. (That's just my preference). Good luck

• 2 weeks later...
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to try saving your place as a "Session" instead of a bookmark. You can give your session a name, and create as many as you want. Just press "command-o" to open any of your saved sessions. When you've moved to a new place in your session, save it... giving it with the same name in order to overwrite your old session.

It's a little cumbersome, but at least it will allow you to save your place in all your windows.

Mark Allison

OK,

here is what I've done...this will need to work until I find a smarter solution (hopefully not one smarter than me ;-)

I've created a Highlight File. I've created several styles inside of the one file. One for each of my normal reading areas. Super easy to do.

<applekey>E

Create a new Highlight File.

Create multiple highlight styles.

I display the Highlight Palette & choose my reading highlight file in the Window drop-down box.

Keep in mind that each Highlight file is like setting up context on the texts. If i have more than one Highlight file, and I open one of them, the highlights from the other files are not available to select on the texts. Therefore, if you are saving multiple highlights for a Bible study, and also have highlights for your daily readings (or whatever) then your searching would have a context set by the file that you have selected in the Highlight Palette

Finally, you'll need to search a word, but instead of a word, you hit shift+applekey+S and it will place [sTYLE ?]. Replace the ? with the name of your highlight style. When you search, it will mark each highlight...etc.

Hope this is useful to someone besides myself...

cam

Archived