Ross Hebrew Grammar

Greg Terry

Does anyone know of an answer key for the Allen Ross book, Introducing Biblical Hebrew?

If not, would one of our Hebrew scholars be interested in creating one for Accordance?

That would be a great help.

Thanks!

I have been using Ross's grammar for review and have been creating a user tool for the exercises in each chapter. But I'm only completing about a chapter per week, so it will be some time before it is finished.

Speaking of Ross's grammar, are there any plans to clean it up? There are a multitude of typos that need correction, so many, in fact, that I don't think a beginner could safely use it to learn Hebrew.

Steve:

Sorry to hear about the typos. :( That would be bad news for me. I'm a rank beginner.

I've been primarily using the lectures from animatedhebrew.com and the Ross book. I've recently been considering the Futato book instead of the Ross. It seems to be getting pretty good reviews - especially for learning on your own. I'll probably get the Futato book and use the Ross book to supplement. I can get the Ross book from my local library as needed. Thanks for the response!

Steve:

The first release of Ross did have problems with the Hebrew, and we did a careful cleanup. We are not getting reports of errors in version 1.2. Please check that you have the latest release.

Hi Helen:

Thanks for your response.

I checked to make sure I have the latest release of Ross, and I do have version 1.2. I was glad to hear that you did some cleanup, but I think there is still a way to go, both with the Hebrew and the transliteration. I am in chapter 5 right now, so I will give you some examples from there:

(1) In 5.1, paragraph 1, resh is identified as one of the letters that takes dagesh lene. It should be gimel. Resh, of course, cannot take either dagesh. In paragraph 3, the transliteration for qamets has a dash after the qof (no big deal).

(2) In 5.3, #3, in the second example, the hireq in the hireq-yod is missing in the second word.

(3) In 5.10, a., (1, dagesh forte is missing from the shin in the fourth word. It is missing from the yod in the fifth word. In (2, mappiq is in yod instead of he. These are pretty significant, since the lesson deals with dagesh and mappiq. In d., (1, silluq is missing under the beth of the fourth word. The same for mem in the third word of (2, as for the dahlet of the last word of (4. This isn't too significant, but silluq was previously covered.

Chapter 5 isn't unique. I have run across multiple errors in all the chapters thus far, starting with the alphabet, where the letter sin is transliterated as the letter a followed by the transliteration for aleph, and is spelled with aleph rather than sin. This is carried over into the exercises (e.g., 1.8, a., 1)).

Since I have taken Hebrew in the past, I'm not bothered too much by this. But for someone starting from scratch, some of this could be very confusing.

Thanks for listening,

Thanks for reporting these issues. Please send all such error reports directly to me. We do file them and use each one when we next release the module (typically in October). Unless errors are reported to us, we cannot correct them, though we always check throughout the module for repeating errors like the seen, which another user reported yesterday.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for reporting these issues. Please send all such error reports directly to me. We do file them and use each one when we next release the module (typically in October). Unless errors are reported to us, we cannot correct them, though we always check throughout the module for repeating errors like the seen, which another user reported yesterday.

Hi Helen,

Are there any progress on the update of this resource? I have been using it as my text-book but there are quite a lot of small but fatal mistakes......which are really annoying. And frankly speaking, I feel difficult to 'report' the errors because I find it hard to express the errors.

YingLam

Yes, we are preparing an update with a number of corrections. The easiest way to send us your corrections is to copy the text to a document and then make a note or even just underline the word that needs correction.

• 2 years later...

I have noticed a few typos in Ross, particularly getting the vowels in participles in the wrong order. I don't know how to check out which version I have (Helen mentioned 1.2 above) but "Check for updates" shows no sign of wanting to give me anything. Has this issue moved on in the last couple of years? Should I report errors? If so, how (sorry I'm relatively new to Accordance)?

In Accordance, you can contextual click (control-click), then select "About this Text" and the pop-up window will contain a version number.

Any typos you see, please utilize the "Report A Correction" contextual menu item (control-click, "Report a Correction). By using this method of typo/erratum submission, it ensures your observed erratum will make into our database for future updates.

Thanks! And Welcome to Accordance!

James

Thanks. I've sent off a report.

And frankly speaking, I feel difficult to 'report' the errors because I find it hard to express the errors.

YingLam

While a brief explanation is always helpful, it shouldn't deter you from error submission. Not only does your submission of an error/typo stand to benefit your use of the module, but it will also benefit the many others. If you aren't sure how to express yourself, those who make the corrects have enough Hebrew/Aramaic facility to discern the nature of the report.

James

Thanks. I've sent off a report.

Thanks!

• Like 1

• 7 years later...