Specifying Lexicons

R. Mansfield

Here's an idea.

When we go to the Text Settings (cmd-T or Display: Set Text Pane Display), what if we could assign a particular dictionary to a biblical text in the same way a particular biblical text can be set for a general tool?

This already happens with the tagged English texts in that they pull up the appropriate original language dictionaries.

But let me give a specific example of this need in other texts. I leave the BDAG at the top of my Greek Tool list because when I triple click a word in the GNT-T module, I want that lexicon to come up. The same is true for the BHS-W4 in which the HALOT appears when I triple-click a text because I have it at the top of my Hebrew Tool list.

Unfortunately BDAG and HALOT become the default lexicon for any Greek or Hebrew text respectively that I use.

But over the last three weeks or so I've spent quite a bit of time with the Philo texts (granted, Philo isn't a "biblical" text, but Accordance treats it like one). Philo's Greek really stretches the limits of my knowledge of the language. As I've used the Greek and English modules in parallel, I've become less trusting of Yonge's English translation. When I triple-click a Greek word, naturally BDAG comes up. However, I've found on a number of occasions BDAG won't contain a particular Greek word in Philo. And what I've actually found is that although the entries are shorter, the Liddell & Scott lexicon has been much more helpful in Philo. In fact, L&S almost always has the Greek word I'm looking for when BDAG does not.

So, what I'd really like to be able to do is set Philo-T to always bring up Liddell & Scott when I triple-click a word. Then I could use BDAG secondarily instead of the other way around as I do now.

Archived