NIV Application Commentary

Helen Brown

This month we are featuring The NIV Application Commentary. There have been many requests for it over the years, and we are excited to have it (almost) ready for you.

During the 90 day introductory period we are offering the complete New Testament set of 20 volumes ($532) for the special one time only price of $317.

Similarly, the 8 volume Old Testament Prophets set ($218) is offered for the special one time only price of $143.

We expect to release the New Testament set by July 10, and the Prophets by July 31. Both will be available for immediate download. These sale prices end Sept. 30th. Place your orders now!

Please see this article for details on the volumes, and the editor's introduction to the series.

• 2 weeks later...

We made it! The NIVAC-NT commentary is now available for download.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NIVAC-Prophets is now available for download. We apologize for the delay, and for the fact that the page numbers are not yet complete and accurate. We expect to rectify this in a free upgrade by the end of the month.

• 1 month later...

The introductory sale on the NIV Application Commentary has been extended until Monday. This is your last chance to get these great

prices on NIVAC-Prophets and NIVAC-NT. They have been selling like hot cakes, but since it's a simple download, we aren't running low on stock.

• 2 years later...

(deleted and created a seperate post)

Edited by ChristianB

Can anyone comment on how the NIV Application Commentary compares to the Life Application Bible Commentary?

(I'm sure I've asked this question before but searching the forum turned up no results, so apologies if I have missed something.)

Thanks

Alistair,

The Life Application Study Bible is a single volume edition of the Bible with the Bible text available in several different translations (I have both NIV and KJV but the notes are the same). The Life Application footnotes suggest practical ways of applying verses from the text to your daily faith journey. Taking a verse completely at random, we there have at Ezra 1:9-11, the footnote "1:9-11 Every article of gold and silver was a witness to God’s protection and care. Although many years had passed, God delivered these Temple articles back to his people. We may be discouraged by events in life, but we must never give up our hope in God’s promises to us. The turning point may be just ahead." I would recommend this to interested church goers who want to enrich their Bible reading.

By contrast the NIV Application Commentary is a huge multi-volume work. Each pericope (Bible passage) has three sections of commentary, each running to several pages: Original Meaning, Bridging Horizons, and Contemporary Significance. It enables you to consider the "application' element of a Bible text in far greater depth than the Life Application Study Bible. I would recommend this to preachers and pastors who want to make more of the Application part of their sermons.

Hope this helps.

Remain blessed,

Stephen

• Like 1

Stephen that's great, but my question was about the Life Application Bible Commentary series (Tyndale House Publishers), not the Study Bible (which I have twice over).

OOPS! Thanks for pointing that out. Hopefully someone else can answer your question who is better informed than me :rolleyes:

I highly recommend this commentary. It is very unusual in its breadth and very well done. It models hermeneutics on a very practical level, moving from the meaning of the ancient text in its original setting, through the principles taught in the text, to the contemporary application (which is generally well beyond merely the personal and moral).

We have a podcast on this module. You may find it helpful: http://www.accordancefiles2.com/podcasts/p37_nivapplicationcommentary.m4v.

Enjoy!