Lectionary User Tool

David Martyn

Thank you for this user note. This may not be politically correct, but: can you indicate the translation? since I am not familiar with the standard you are using, can you explicate the authority? (I am Roman Catholic.)lectionary user tool

I am not the creator of the user tool, but as someone who has used the Revised Common Lectionary (or RCL) for many years, I can explain what the RCL is.

The RCL is a table of readings for each Sunday of the Christian year (plus some special days such as Ash Wednesday and Christmas Eve). It follows a three year pattern. In Year A, most of the Gospel readings are from Matthew, Year B is mostly Mark, and year C is mostly Luke. John is scattered across the three years. Each Sunday has a first lesson (an Old Testament reading usually, although during the Easter season the reading is from Acts), a Psalm (or a Biblical canticle, such as the Nunc Dimittis, a.k.a. the Canticle of Simeon), an Epistle lesson, and a Gospel lesson. During the stretch between Pentecost and Christ the King Sunday, two sets of Old Testament and Psalm readings are provided. One option during this time offers a "lectio continuo," that is the Old Testament lessons work their way through several of the Old Testament books--not every chapter and verse, but passages that are considered most important. Year A begins in Genesis, I believe. I think year B works through books from the monarchic period, and Year C is readings from the prophets. The other option has Old Testament lessons that relate to either the Gospel or Epistle reading for the day.

Because the RCL is a table of suggested readings, it is not dependent upon a particular translation. It was developed by an ecumenical group of liturgical scholars. It is my understanding that the RCL is based on the Roman Catholic lectionary. More information about the RCL can be found at http://www.commontexts.org/rcl/faq.html.

By the way, thanks to David for the RCL User Tools! I have been using the ones available from Accordance Exchange, but they are dated to a specific year. I'd been meaning to go through and put the date ranges in and add the missing Sundays (the ones that did not occur in the calendar year they were first built for) but I had't gotten around to it. Now I don't have to!

Lorinda

Thank you for this user note. This may not be politically correct, but: can you indicate the translation? since I am not familiar with the standard you are using, can you explicate the authority? (I am Roman Catholic.)lectionary user tool

Thanks for the explanation of the RCL and for the link to RCL site.

By the way, thanks to David for the RCL User Tools! I have been using the ones available from Accordance Exchange, but they are dated to a specific year. I'd been meaning to go through and put the date ranges in and add the missing Sundays (the ones that did not occur in the calendar year they were first built for) but I had't gotten around to it. Now I don't have to!

Lorinda

Your welcome. I sent this to David L. for the "Accordance Exchange" some time ago, but he doesn't have time to update the site. The upside of this is that he is improving Accordance everyday. Perhaps he could consider having a volunteer manage the site. I am sure that there are many user tools out there that have been created.

Archived