Me Want Big Kittel

RPat

Greetings:

Sorry for the obnoxious title :D

I really would like to see the full version of TDNT (Big Kittel) at some point.

I know that cost, resources, priorities are always an issue. Here are my priorities:

#1 - Theological Journals updated regularly and quickly; additional scholarly journals, such as, Journal of Biblical Literature (JBL)

#2 - IDB; yes, I know you have ABD, ubt would love to have ID too!

#3 - Word Biblical Commentary

#4 - TDNT

#5 - "New" ISBE Encyclopedia

Thanks,

Rich

Rich:

Many of these are in our "pipeline" already, but some like Big Kittel would require a huge investment of time/money. It is outdated, and I believe it has some strange views, is it really worth it?

Rich:

Many of these are in our "pipeline" already, but some like Big Kittel would require a huge investment of time/money. It is outdated, and I believe it has some strange views, is it really worth it?

I am perplexed, too. The first volumes date back to about 1930. They tend to follow a dialectic pattern: thesis (Greek world) - antithesis (Hebrew Bible) - synthesis (New Testament). This is reminiscent of Hegel: thesis (paganism) - antithesis (Judaism) - synthesis (Christianity).

On the other hand, recent contributions are less ideological. For instance, they pay attention to Greek books of Hellenistic Judaism, which don't fit in the original three-parts pattern.

Anyway, it is always high level scholarship.

What about some more recent (and less ideological) dictionary, such as Balz - Schneider? This is one I have on my desktop, but I would prefer to add it to Accordance.

Marco Fabbri

Rome, Italy

Yes, TDNT does have some quesionable exegesis/conclusions at times, but from my understanding, it is still THE standard. Almost all newer works, if not all refer to it. It would be nice to cross-reference between TDNT, Spiq, NIDNTT, etc.

Marco, thanks for suggesting Balz - Schneider, I wasn't aware of it. I knew about Spiq and Colin Brown, but not Balz - Schneider. I'll take a look at it. Thanks for the suggestion--and its less shelf space than Big Kittel! :D

Helen, thanks again for all the hard work and listening to what we would like.

Rich

Even though it may be outdated, I would appreciate having access to big kiddell and would definately purchase it if you guys were to release it. For what it does, it does well even though some exegesis is questionable.

• 3 months later...

Is there any plans to have the unabridged version of TDNT for an Accordance module? Why stick with little Kittel?

Topic merged with the above similar topic.

I wonder if a 10 volume full TDNT would sell. Honestly consider this: It "retails" for $700. It's sold on CBD for $99. How much would you really end up paying for it in electronic form? How much (with license fees, time and effort) would it sell for?

My suspension is that most would end up rather having a $99 version on their bookshelf, than a $299+ version on their computer.

My 2 cents.

Tom

I wonder if a 10 volume full TDNT would sell. Honestly consider this: It "retails" for $700. It's sold on CBD for $99. How much would you really end up paying for it in electronic form? How much (with license fees, time and effort) would it sell for?

My suspension is that most would end up rather having a $99 version on their bookshelf, than a $299+ version on their computer.

I don't know. I used to say that about the ABD, but I bought that from Accordance in the last few days. I do own the full TDNT, but I might be interested in an electronic version, if it were reasonably priced, for the same reason I bought the ABD.

And by the way, in general I prefer a physical book in my hand over an electronic book. However, with some books, especially reference books, it can be so beneficial to have it in electronic form, especially because of the ability to search the content of the text for keywords.

Case in point is back to the ABD. How many times have I wanted to look up a subject (in the hardbound volumes) only to discover there wasn't an entry for it. However, I knew that it was an important enough subject that it had to be covered somewhere in the six volumes. So then I have to try to put myself in the mind of the editor to think of how he arranged the subjects by title and determine where my topic is going to be covered. And then perhaps I find it. But what if it's also covered in another article? Unless it's listed in the "See also" I have no way of knowing this. That's where the beauty of the Accordance version of the ABD comes into play. I can search the content of the articles for any keyword I want. It's wonderful.

Plus, I would think that since Accordance already offers the NIDNTT and the Spicq Theological Lexicon, the TDNT would fit in well with those offerings.

By the way, I think I paid much more than $99 for my ten volume set. That stinks.

• 1 month later...
Rich:

I too am staring at the CBD sale on Big Kittel and wishing it was an Accordance module. Here's the issue as I see it: On my shelf it would get used only when I was in my office duing serious study. On my laptop it would get referenced far more often as it would travel with me.

How much time and money would it take? What would the price point be and how many would you have to sell to make it worth it? For me online kittel would be worth about double what I would pay for the print version, because I would use it a lot more.

Joel

Archived