A range based on words not verses?

jarod.jacobs

Hi All,

I am hoping to be able to search for one hundred word sections within a given book/scroll. I thought that the 'range' command might be able to do this, but as far as I can tell it is only set up for book/verse entries. Does anyone know if what I am trying to do is possible?

I hope my question is clear. If not let me know.

Thanks!

Jarod

• 2 weeks later...

Jarod, sorry we didn't get back to you sooner. I'm afraid I'm not entirely following what your request is. You wish to run a search on, say, only words 400-500 of a particular chapter? What are you trying to accomplish?

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the reply.

I want to be able to divide a book/manuscript into equal size parts, count the number of verbs in those parts (as an example), calculate a ratio of verbs to total words for each section, and then run a statistical analysis on the results to see if there are any relevant differences between the sections of the book/manuscript.

I would just use chapters or columns, but the sizes of the chapters and columns vary so much between books/manuscripts that it causes problems with my statistical analysis. If I could divide texts into equal size parts it would simplify my life greatly.

As an example, 1QIsaa has 22,696 words. I would like to create a range for each 100 word section (1-100, 101-200, etc.) Then I want to be able to search those sections. Something like [range 1QIsaa 1-100 words] <and> [verb].

I hope this helps clarify my question.

Thanks!

Jarod

Hi Jarod,

Joel may have insider knowledge, but as far as I know that particular sort of search is not possible.

We can do something similar in the analysis window however.

Put the relevant search terms in the search box (red box)

then make a range for 1QIsa in the range drop down (don't use the RANGE command) (green box)

post-29509-0-69715100-1390430657_thumb.png

perform the search by pressing return, then do an analysis (HITS GRAPH)

and you will get a graph like this.

post-29509-0-05484000-1390430670_thumb.png

Change the hits/words analysis to 100 (green box), and you will get an approximation of what you are looking for I think.

If anything isn't clear, please ask again.

• Like 1

Going on off of what Ken said,

Ken is correct, you can't do searches yourself for specific ranges of words, but we already offer some Analytics that can give you want you need. Perhaps you could consider the Table option. It can show you the detailed statistics of your result, broken down by book or chapter, showing even the hits per 1000 words. This can give you the hard numbers necessary, though the number '1000' isn't configurable down to 100.

• Like 1

Ken and Joel,

Very helpful stuff! Thank you for the details, pictures, and options. Your answers will definitely allow me to get what I need. Although, I think some of the options discussed by Ken are only found in version 10, to which I have yet to upgrade. But that probably won't impact too much.

Thank you both very much,

Jarod

Hi Jarod,

of course you should update to v10. It's cheap and a wonderful upgrade in so many features. However, everything I showed you can be done in v9, it's just in a slightly different spot. Here's how you do it...

Open your DSSB-M module from the library and do our verb search with the modified range as I mentioned above. (I have not done that last step here (blue box) because it would mess with my v10 settings I think).

post-29509-0-30037000-1390514257_thumb.png

Then do an analysis display (red box) "Hits graph" (green box)

post-29509-0-88456700-1390514299_thumb.png

then select the menu Display and the subitem Set Graph Display

post-29509-0-12936500-1390514363_thumb.png

and you should get a drop down sheet like this.

post-29509-0-50150500-1390514454_thumb.png

On this sheet change the default 1000 to 100 (orange box)

and your result should look like this, but without the blank space if you created the custom range. (If you need help doing this, please ask). As you can see the range is now 100 words. (green box)

post-29509-0-34491500-1390514562_thumb.png

But, upgrade to v10, you won't regret it. The link to all the new features is here.

Edited by Ken Simpson