Bookmarking a Place in a General Tool

sobertruth

I've recently run into a problem. I've been reading through Grudem's theology in Accordance. I mark the selection at where I stopped reading. I've tried saving it as a favorite module. When I open it from the library window, it comes up at the beginning of the text. All marks are erased. I've saved it as a special session, and I can go to the file menu open the file and it opens at the place where I stopped reading. When I want to save my place again. I have to go to the file menu again, save the session again, and replace the new file with the old one. Then to reopen it, I have to go to the file menu and open it again manually.

Is their a way to save the session or bookmark my last place read and use the library or the text palette to open it up to the last place read? Or do I need to go through the process outlined above each time I read a section and want the tool to open up to the last page read. It seems cumbersome to have to go through the above process, especially when one is reading several different general tools just to have the module open up where I stopped reading.

Sorry, if I am missing something obvious.

Blessings,

Chris

In the preferences, under General settings, set Startup to Last Session and it should remember your place in every text and tool that you had open before you quit (no need to mark or save as a favorite).

For an illustrated tutorial, I recommend watching the Recommended Settings video (note that Accordance 8 prefs will look slightly different from the version 7 in the videos).

I'm actually reading through the same text.

It's important that you Save the workspace or window with the Grudem text in it. Saving it as a favorite "module" simply tells accordance that this text is one of your go-to texts. But unless you Save it, under File->Save it will not remember where you left off. By saving it this way Accordance will remember exactly where you left off and the file you open will be just like you left it.

If you have the Grudem text in one window/workspace and say the Webster's Dictionary open in a separate window and you want to save this session, then go to File->Save Session to save this window setup with your texts. This will remember all the separate windows and their locations.

If I'm not mistaken bookmarks are for the current session only and are not remembered once the file is closed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks all for taking the time to responsed.

I understand about saving the last session and using the file menu to save either the session or the single module. I guess I was looking for a bookmark workaround that would allow me to open the resource directly from the palette or the library. The way I understand it is that I will have to go under the file menu or use a keyboard shortcut and save each time and then reopen from that file to take me back to the place I was reading. I don't have a problem with that, except when I am reading several texts at different times. For example, Grudem's work, Bunyan, John Owen, Hodges theology, etc. So it seems that each of those would have to be saved and then opened from the file menu to return to the place where I stopped reading, since the bookmarks are erased each time the resource is closed unless saved under the file menu. Maybe, a future addition would be to have a bookmark menu which would list the books bookmarked and would allow one to easily navigate to the book without having to go through the file menu and resave each time one reads a section of a tool.

I am not complaining, but as I read more and more resources as a whole on Accordance, a simpler method is preferred. I am one of those folks who don't mind reading a whole work like Grudem's or Hodge's on Accordance, since I almost always have my laptop with me. I do understand Accordance is geared more to an interactive research tool for Biblical studies than a reader like Logos, but as these systematic theologies and other works are becoming available for Accordance, I find myself more and more reading through works from start to finish on Accordance. The highlighting tools are also making Accordance my choice for reading through texts, since I am able to customize the highlighting tools.

Anyway, as I learn more about Accordance, I find it to be one of my most used software programs and am starting to see features to make things easier.

Great program.

Blessings,

Chris,

It sounds to me like the simplest thing for you to do is what JP suggested. Just go to Preferences-->General Settings and choose "Last Session" under Startup. Then every time you open Accordance, all your books will open to where you last left off reading.

Is there a reason that won't work in your situation?

David,

I think I understand now what you guys are saying, and I may have miscommunicated what I was trying to accomplish. I have a sermon preparation workspace which I use, and I have the last session saved option clicked. I often take breaks during sermon preparation, since I do much of it over an extended period, and switch to some reading in longer works. It is then that I have to go to the file menu and open whatever book I am reading at the time to get to the place I left off.

The solution is now obvious. Open all the works I am reading in different tabs in one workspace. When I need a break from sermon preparation, I can use the file menu to open that one file and it will open all the works I am reading in different tabs with each place saved. I tried it and it worked. My initial problem was that I did not realize that Accordance would save the place last read in each tab if they were all open in the one workspace. So, I can have Grudem, Owen, Hodges, etc all open in tabs in one workspace and save them in one file and just have to open that one file. Each place where I left off reading was saved. It was having to open and save a file for each individual work that was causing the problem. I did not occur to me to open them in one workspace in multiple tabs and save it.

Once again amazed at Accordance. Sorry, if I made a thread much longer than it should be when the answer was obvious. Still learning. . .

Blessings,

Chris

Archived