Accordance for iOS 3.x

Johannes

Hello,

is there any possibility to download an Accordance-Version for an iPhone of the 1st Generation?

Greetings, Johannes

Glad you still finding your iPhone 1 useful, but looks like time for an upgrade if Accordance is something you really need. 5 1/2 years is a pretty good run with a phone...

-dan

Sure - an upgrade would be nice - but that would cost (much) money. Money that - in my opinion - is needed elsewhere more than in the Apple Company. ;)

I also think we should use our devices as long as possible and I wonder why older versions of an app couldn't be offered for download? Are there restrections by Apple?

However, can anyone tell me, which version of Accordance would run under iOS 3?

Blessings, Johannes

Apple restricts the downloading of apps to the iOS, and allows them only through Apple's app store. There is no way for us to make older versions available, sorry!

Holding onto working technology is a good thing unless you hold onto it for so long that when you finally do upgrade, the transition to a new phone/tablet/computer becomes laborious, or when you can't do it without data loss. We have a friend who used his CRT eMac 'forever.' When he finally bought a new iMac, there was such a big gap between the OSs that he couldn't use the Apple Migration Assistant (or was it Set-up Assistant then?) and had to manually move it all. He'll tell you that he's never doing that again.

I pushed it pretty far with my dual G5. It was 7-1/2 years old when I replaced it last fall. I was able to move everything perfectly with Migration Assistant, but I think I was at the outer limit of that being possible.

Basically, it's the nature of fast-moving technology for OSs to change, for hardware to change. I update my hardware and software regularly - it's just part of owning and using the technology. And I get the oil changed in my car and buy it new tires when it needs them - it just part of owning a car. I will confess, however, that I enjoy the iPhone/iPad/Mac a whole lot more than I do the car!

Apple restricts the downloading of apps to the iOS, and allows them only through Apple's app store. There is no way for us to make older versions available, sorry!

Further, i don't believe we ever released a version that ran on anything earlier than iOS 4.1. So even if we could offer older versions, the one you are seeking doesn't exist.

Scott

Dear Helen, I thought so. Thanks!

Dear Julie, I agree with you! I use Macs private and for work (developing among other things) nearly ervery day from morning until evening. But my good old PowerPC with MacOS 10.4 is for many of my work (i. e. coding) still good enough (I also have a new Mac) and I can't afford to buy new devices every two years. So why should I replace it?

And I do not like the concept of the new macs where upgrading is more and more difficult. Think about the old PowerBook G3 Pismo (or most no-mac laptops): You could upgrade RAM, HDD, the optical Drive, and even the CPU only by taking off the keyboard and screwing some screws. So you could upgrade your existing Mac easily, use it for a longer time and protect the environment at the same time. Ok, but that is out of topic! I will have a look on another iPhone - maybe it's time ...

Thanks for all replies!

Edited by Johannes

PS: Would it be allowed for me - as a private person - to offer older versions of Accordance for iOS for download?

I don't like too much the forced obselence either with iOS devices. However, if you are looking for compatible apps, I've learned that there is a way to search Google for them. Low End Mac has an article on how. http://lowendmac.com/2013/easily-find-apps-for-older-ios-versions/

• Like 1

PS: Would it be allowed for me - as a private person - to offer older versions of Accordance for iOS for download?

That is possible but as I understand it your phone would need to be jail broke and beyond this inconvenient fact, the programer confirmed no such product ever existed. Accordance came to iOS much later than some Bible software and as pointed out iOS 4.1 was the first supported iOS.

-Dan

Thanks D. Voth…. Glad to know this is out there, even though I am not sure it can help Johannes.

-Dan

Johannes - We, like you, in the past did all our own upgrading of our Macs. The late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro I'm using right now came with 4GB of RAM and a 320 G hard drive. I upped the RAM to 8 GB and replaced the original HD with a 750 G a couple of years ago. Those moves made a real difference in its performance. At this point, you can only increase the size of the SSD on the Airs and Retina MBPs. Looks like the 'regular' MBPs are going the way of the dodo. I'm not wild about that either. However, Apple has reduced the cost of buying memory preinstalled. It used to be really terrible. Now it's not too bad.

One other real plus with our older Macs is that they still fetch a pretty decent price on eBay and Craig's List. I will probably continue to replace my machines every 5-6 years. I sure didn't get much for my 7-1/2 year old G5, but I think our power bill dropped. That thing acted like a space heater. OK in the winter. Not so good in the summer!

Thank you all!

Dan, do I understand you right that I can put older Accordance-versions on my website for people who have similar problems? I have version 1.4 and 1.5 from my iPod.

It would be great if Accordance could allow me to put them on my website!

Thank you also for the links - I will have a look on them soon.

BTW i was just thinking, you said you didn't want to spend money on a new phone but I know up here in Canada, most cell phone companies will give you free an older iPhone with the renewal of your contract. Rogers was offering the 8 GB iPhone 4 free… If you contacted your provider they may have a free phone for you...

-Dan

Our daughter and SIL (in ministry and with a very tight budget) got free iPhones through Verizon in New Hampshire. I think they were 4s.

I can not find such an offering here in Germany and I do not have such a contract. And I think: Nobody will give you an iPhone as a free gift. Regulary the phone companies get their money back through the monthly contract fees. - And I think I have solved my problem now. :) Thanks to all!

Johannes (and others in similar situations),

Remember that Accordance iOS will work on all iOS devices, not just iPhones. The iPod Touch works well, and is the least expensive option, the various iPads are even better choices. Just be sure to do your research before buying one (and especially a used one) to see which iOS operating systems are compatible with it.

I am glad you solved your problem. I guess North American carriers are more generous or perhaps our fees are too high (certainly I know in Canada we have high costs so they can be more generous with hardware).

-Dan