Some ideas on Module Organization

Tom Castle

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some ideas as to how you guys may be using the new folder feature in the Arrange Modules section of Accordance. Are you folks keeping it basic (ie. Greek texts, Hebrew Texts, English Texts, Commentaries, Dictionaries, etc.) or do you have some other method???

Where Bible Texts are concerned, I have folders at the top of the menu for the various Greek New Testaments, Hebrew Bibles, and Septuagint texts. Then I have a divider line and about a dozen English translations which I use often. Then I have additional folders at the bottom of the menu for Older Bibles, Catholic Bibles, Jewish Translations, and all the various extrabiblical texts we offer. I like this system because I don't have to go into a submenu for all my most used English Bibles, and the original language texts I use most are accessible at the top.

I keep my most frequently used modules "loose" in their category. In the text section, this includes both English and some Greek & Hebrew texts. Then I have folders for English and Greek texts I don't use as much.

In other categories, I keep the most commonly used modules "loose" and put the rest in folders by categories (Translator's notes, History, Devotionals, Bible Studies, etc.)

I tend to forget about the Favorites section, so that's not as well organized as it could be. In theory, I keep a few frequently used modules (though no texts) "loose," and then have some folders that let me group things that I see as related (like LXX Tools) even if they are in different categories (e.g. English Tools, Greek Tools, General Tools) elsewhere in the Resource Pallette.

Thanks for these replies!! I like some of these ideas. Anyone else care to chime in?

Thanks for these replies!! I like some of these ideas. Anyone else care to chime in?

Hi Tom,

I use the module organization in addition to the suggestions above to separate Reference tools between Language tools from Zondervan such as the GNT Key and Exhaustive Analysis HB and GNT, from Commentaries, and lastly Bible Notes. I find this helpful for searching and finding what I am looking for more quickly.

I keep all my Bibles grouped together by language (English, Greek, and Hebrew). That makes it easy for me to find what I need. Then I use a divider and keep extra-biblical texts organized by category in different folders (Apostolic Fathers, Pseudepigrapha, Apocrypha, &c.). Other texts I keep loose on the bottom, like the Vulgate.

My Reference tools are organized by category, Critical Apparatuses, Commentaries, Bible Notes, and so on, with unique references loose under a divider. I also like having my commentaries sub-divided so that OT, NT, individual books, and whole Bible commentaries have their own folders (that makes for four folders in all for my commentaries).

General tools are organized by grouping systematic theologies, grammars, journals, Puritan works, and any other categories that I can develop to unite various resources. For me, it's just easier to have a shorter list to scroll through than a long list of loose resources. I also made a folder for Greek/Hebrew lexicons that I don't use frequently called "Other Lexicons" in the Greek and Hebrew tool sections. That keeps them out of my way but available in case I want to reference them.

The folders are a great resource, and I'm sure as I add to my library and as Oak Tree adds new resources it will evolve in different ways. Workflow pattern is what I base my system of organization on. It took a while to come up with something that I really liked, but now I can find anything in my library very quickly.

I too neglect the favorites option, but I find I don't really need it since everything is pretty organized in other places. By the way, one feature I began to use more lately is the tool groups. When I teach through a book expositionally I create a tool group for all my commentaries that cover that particular book. That way when I'm studying a particular verse, I click in that verse reference, click that tool group, and all the commentaries I want to see on that verse open in tabs in my workspace. It's a great time-saving feature.

Archived