JPS vs. CJB vs. NJB... opinions?

John Young

Hi all,

Couple of questions...

1- I am upgrading to a Scholar's collection and am getting a free Bible unlock. I had intended to get the NLT-SE with it, but only because we are using it at church some. Since I have it in print, I've decided to get a "Jewish" translation in the hopes it will occasionally give a fresh look at a passage that the "regular" English translations might not offer.

Any thoughts on the JPS vs. the Complete Jewish Bible?

(The Complete Jewish Bible may not even be an option since it is listed at $35, but it is on the list connected to the "modern Bibles" hyperlink on the Scholars page???)

2- Also... what perspective does the Jerusalem Bible bring?

3- I'm assuming the Jewish Study Bible is not considered a "modern Bible" for the Bible unlock also? (plus, I think it is $35 also, right?)

Thanks for any and all input,

John

If you want a truly Jewish version, you'd want to get the JPS. The NJB is a Catholic Bible, and the Complete Jewish Bible is a Messianic Jewish (Christian) project.

[by the way, it's difficult to discuss three different religious perspectives in one sentence. I was trying to be brief, but my apologies if I used any debatable language. I was certainly trying to stay within the guidelines of the forum, but I realize that some of the above wording will not be satisfactory to some people.]

If you want a truly Jewish version, you'd want to get the JPS. The NJB is a Catholic Bible, and the Complete Jewish Bible is a Messianic Jewish (Christian) project.

Thanks so much.

Yes, I figured as much about the Jerusalem Bible but wanted to ask to make sure.

I do think the JPS is the one I'll ultimately end up with, though a Messianic-Jewish translation would be nice too. It seems both would bring the Jewish perspective into things, but obviously in different ways.

Other comments on this and also thoughts on the Jewish Study Bible?

I have a $30 quiz credit that I could use for that if it doesn't qualify for my Bible add-on and use the Bible add-on for the JPS.

Thanks so much.

Yes, I figured as much about the Jerusalem Bible but wanted to ask to make sure.

I do think the JPS is the one I'll ultimately end up with, though a Messianic-Jewish translation would be nice too. It seems both would bring the Jewish perspective into things, but obviously in different ways.

Other comments on this and also thoughts on the Jewish Study Bible?

I have a $30 quiz credit that I could use for that if it doesn't qualify for my Bible add-on and use the Bible add-on for the JPS.

You probably know this already, but the JPS is just OT, while the CJB is OT and NT. The JPS is great for alternative wording when studying the OT. The CJB is a unique text. Here is Rom 9.1: Romans 9:1 I am speaking the truth- as one who belongs to the Messiah, I do not lie; and also bearing witness is my conscience, governed by the Ruach HaKodesh: (Rom

Thanks...

I'm going with the JPS text.

I appreciate the responses, it is nice to get confirmation of one's thoughts sometimes.

John

Just to chime in about the JSB: I am familiar with the scholarship of many of the contributors, and on that basis can confidently predict that the breadth, depth, and quality of the essays, annotations, and other helps (e.g., tables, bibliography, and glossary) will be very high.

Note: The JSB = Jewish Study Bible is designed to be used with the JPS translation, but, like all our Study Bibles, it is sold as a separate module and can be used with any translation.

Archived