Maximum size for User Tool?

Ryan Kilgore

Hi, I've got 157MB of ASCII text that I want to import into a User Tool. When I try to do it all in just one straight import, Accordance has trouble. I'm wondering if this is because it's just too big entirely and I've exceeded some kind of hard limit for a single tool, or is it just too big for a single import, or what. I can break it into sections to create more than one UT if I need to, but just hoping for some info on what the limits are at. Does anybody know? Or have experience importing such huge amounts of text?

Thanks much!

-Ryan

The User Tool import and feature is simply not designed for such massive modules. It's intended for articles, sermons and such. Since it is constantly re-indexed with every change, it will be very cumbersome. You can try smaller sections, and you can set the Block size for editing in Preferences/Edit Window.

Hi Ryan,

That must be some fairly impressive file you have there.

Suggestions, in no particular order:

1) Give up now.

As Helen says, UTs aren't designed for that amount of verbiage. I've struggled to make a UT that's only a coupla hundred k. You will save yourself hours of fruitless frustration.

2) Persevere.

Split your file into chunks, and do each one separately. I suggest 5MB to begin with, and adjust as necessary. Accordance has this annoying habit of splitting the UT into sections as you create it, you have to use the little triangle butttons to scroll up and down by section. You can adjust the size of these sections (to a limited degree) in the preferences (as Helen indicates).

Make sure you check where the headings and subheadings go, because Accordance will automatically assign them at the beginning of every section. This often causes an error, because it has made a whole paragraph into a heading and a heading can only be a maximum of X characters long. (I forget the exact number, the App will tell you.)

It's a real PITA but it's better than nothing. Another option is to export your ASCII file to HTML, and encode it with headings, etc, in HTML, but I have limited experience of doing it this way around.

HTH.

~Alistair

Thanks for the tips. This text is a collection of books and articles, so I can split it up into individual books. Is there a limit to how many UT's Accordance can have installed at once? I think there are like 50-70 different books, which I'm planning to organize into categories after I can upgrade to vers. 7 maybe at the end of the week.

-Ryan

I think there's no limit, but the more texts/modules/UTs you have, you might notice a slightly longer pause on launching the program. Also, all of these stuff requires RAM, the more of which, of course, the better.

Archived