Greek: (GNT-T vs. NA28-T) & Hebrew: (HMT-W4 vs. BHS-T)

Randy Steffens Jr

I would like to know the practical differences between the Greek GNT-T vs. NA28-T modules and the Hebrew HMT-W4 vs. BHS-T modules? For someone like me who has the first sets, (respectively), are there good reasons for upgrading for upgrading to the second set?

Thanks,

Randy

General summaries of these products are on our main webpage, but here's a brief rundown:

The GNT28-T and NA28-T contain the identical text and morph tagging. The NA28-T includes the critical signs in-text which point to specific info in the critical apparatus. In addition to the apparatus, the NA28-T contains an extensive set of cross-references. If you want to learn how to use the critical apparatus, then definitely get the NA28. Otherwise consider just the GNT28-T, or even the UBS4-T (text identical to the NA27 with an apparatus geared toward translators).

The HMT-W4 (also commonly called the WLC) is a digital text of the Leningrad Codex with morph tagging maintained by the Groves Institute at Westminster. The text is based on the same codex as the BHS but differs in a number of places based on individual judgments of the text, and also how marginal readings are handled (ketiv / qere). The BHS-T also includes critical signs which point to info in the apparatus. Others more familiar with the nuances of this text are free to add to this as well…

I hope this helps…

Edited by Rick Bennett

Thanks! Would the updates be very useful for someone who can read a little Hebrew/Greek, but is not a particularly skilled Greek/Hebrew student?

Randy

The other major differences are that both Syntax modules work only with the texts without the sigla (the critical signs in-text which point to the critical apparatus). Therefore anyone who plans to add the syntax will do better to start with the GNT28-T and BHS-W4 and add the texts with apparatus. rather than the other way round.

• Like 1

Hi Randy,

Would the updates be very useful for someone who can read a little Hebrew/Greek, but is not a particularly skilled Greek/Hebrew student?

IMHO, not especially. If you were keen to get into critical studies, then I think that would be the time to look at that particular purchase. If you have a paper GNT like the UBS4 or the NA, if you find yourself looking at the alternative readings at all regularly then it seems like you should do it.

If you are more trying to work out what the Greek i(or Hebrew) s saying, then stay with this GNT or GNT-28 (HMT-W4) module. YOu may look at adding the syntax module, that is quite interesting and helpful. It is not that expensive to add the BHS-T or the NAS28/UBS4-T later on if you move more that way,.

Thank you friends! That's very helpful.

Randy