LSJ Accordance and LSJ on TLG

danzac

TLG recently released a free online LSJ. It is free and a great resource. I still prefer the Accordance version because of its integration with the rest of my modules. At the same time the TLG version has one knock-out feature, live links to all of the ancient texts (housed in TLG) that are mentioned in a lexical entry. Obviously Accordance cannot do this because it does not have (nor do I want it to have) the massive Greek corpus which TLG has.

All of that to say

TLG recently released a free online LSJ. It is free and a great resource. I still prefer the Accordance version because of its integration with the rest of my modules. At the same time the TLG version has one knock-out feature, live links to all of the ancient texts (housed in TLG) that are mentioned in a lexical entry. Obviously Accordance cannot do this because it does not have (nor do I want it to have) the massive Greek corpus which TLG has.

All of that to say

I suspect that this may be more difficult than the example from Google Maps since the TLG site uses a unique entry number to identify the word in the web address, e.g. http://www.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=382&context=lsj&action=from-search, is ἀγαπάω. In order to use a lexical from as derived from Accordance it seems we would have to translate it into the TLG entry or somehow place keyboard focus in the search entry box. I could be wrong, but this sounds a little beyond a simple programming job.

Darn !

• 1 year later...

I suspect that this may be more difficult than the example from Google Maps since the TLG site uses a unique entry number to identify the word in the web address, e.g. http://www.tlg.uci.edu/lsj/#eid=382&context=lsj&action=from-search, is ἀγαπάω. In order to use a lexical from as derived from Accordance it seems we would have to translate it into the TLG entry or somehow place keyboard focus in the search entry box. I could be wrong, but this sounds a little beyond a simple programming job.

I'm not a programmer; however, it seems like others are doing exactly that. There's an iphone app, called Attikos, for example, that provides many of the common Classical Greek texts (Homer, Sophocles, etc) Each word in the text is morphologically tagged and what not - you can then click further into the word and one can see the full entries from LSJ and/or the Middle Liddle (& Autenrieth (if Homeric).

Edited by Katzenjammer

I'm not a programmer; however, it seems like others are doing exactly that. There's an iphone app, called Attikos, for example, that provides many of the common Classical Greek texts (Homer, Sophocles, etc) Each word in the text is morphologically tagged and what not - you can then click further into the word and one can see the full entries from LSJ and/or the Middle Liddle (& Autenrieth (if Homeric).

We're working on LSJ, so it won't be necessary to link to a web version of it. But, I am interested in looking into that app to see where they derived the texts and tagging from. Thanks for the mention.