Entering quote for Greek inflected search

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

On Mac I can directly type a " using opt-" to enter an inflected search. But I believe we do not have an equivalent to opt on Win (fewer control keys exist so one had to give I understand). Is there a way to type the quote, and equals on windows ? I know I can do this via search menu options but its faster to type. Cut and paste directly to the search box won't work as I still need to be able to enter the " or equals, but I can c & p to the inflected form search dialog.

Thx

D

I don't need to use option Daniel... I don't think I do anyway. Mac is shutdown, I'm in Cleveland airport.

Just use a ' or " directly from the keyboard. Unless you are using an unusual keymapping....

Hey Ken, I cannot recall if I have the polytonic keyboard pref set currently or not. But in any case, with or without a control key I am pretty sure I can't enter the quotes on Windows - I'm sure I tried that this morning - will have to re-test. On Mac in a Greek word search I'm pretty sure I need Opt for control chars. But I'm at work at the moment so will re-test later also.

Thx

D

Hi Ken,

Ok so I did indeed have the polytonic keyboard pref on in Mac. It turns out there are three cases, well four actually but I haven't hit one. They are polytonic pref on or off, and the Greek keyboard selected or not in OSX. With the pref off and the keyboard in English things are simple and there is no issue entering a ". Having the pref off and using the Greek keyboard makes no sense and I haven't tried it. Having the pref on and using the Greek keyboard should work but there is a clash between the zoom in function and the equals on that layout. Its odd because according to keyboard prefs zoom in /out hotkeys are disabled. Need to work that one out. And finally what I tested this morning by accident was pref enabled but with the English keyboard. Rather unsurprisingly that does not work very well. So on Mac it looks ok if I can sort out the zoom in/out thing.

Now for windows : the same four cases exist.

pref not set - using English keyboard : ok, although using alt-octal code for the diacritic is a little clunky but it works - or you can use the character pallete too I guess.

pref not set - using Greek keyboard layout : gets garbage which is rather to be expected.

pref set - using English keyboard - makes no sense but its easy to do and what I did this morning. Ooops. You can get the Greek chars but not the " or =.

pref set - Greek layout : this should work but in fact its not possible to enter the double quote or equals. But even the regular Greek chars are not coming out right. Its not exactly smooth sailing in Libre Office this way but using Gentium and the Greek polytonic layout I do get Greek chars, as an example. Windows seems to autoswitch the keyboard as I move to different apps. Not sure how its doing it. Mac doesn't do this and I can end up typing very peculiar English, even for me ! I think on Win it may be remembering the last state by app which is rather cool.

So I suspect there is an issue with Greek polytonic input in Acc on Windows generally but it could still be me. Does anyone have any tips on doing this ?

I do not know if there is any way programmatically to detect that when a user has set the polytonic pref and is typing that he has rather foolishly forgotten to switch his keyboard - would be a nice feature on both platforms if it were possible.

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler