Change the Obscuring Blue-Grey Background of the Search Choice Window-ito

Enoch

I find it very difficult to see which choice is activated in the tiny little oval window where one chooses to search for a verse vs a word (left top). The color is a grey/blue, which does not contrast well with the white letters that say alternatively, verses or words. For example, a black background w/ white letters, or white background with black letters, would make the oval legible.

BTW, this oval window is an objectionable feature of Accordance, leading to much wasted time for having the wrong choice. Accordance would be greatly improved by giving the user the option of having a different set-up in which there was 1) a word search window and 2) a verse navigation window.

When one searches for a word, one likely does not know where those words occur, & it is a true search. But merely going to a verse is not a search (unless one never learned the order of the books in the Bible). (Now where on earth is Micah?)

Perhaps this was an original sin of Accordance, confounding verse navigation with search?

Pardon my rant.

The blue round rectangle button should be updated to match the style of the other buttons. In addition, I would like to see the Flex/Exact choice moved into this button and removed from the History menu. Here is a mockup.

post-29604-0-78360600-1393699819_thumb.png

The Verses search mode lets you search for a list of verses, in any order, so it is more than just navigation. Accordance does have a simple verse navigation window. Do Amplify > Context to open a Text tab. Then you can jump to Micah from the verse selector on the bottom.

Accordance now switches automatically between Words and Verses if it can recognize that the other will work better. For example:

gen switches it from Words to Verses

Joshua 1:2 switches it from Words to Verses

Moses switches it from Verses to Words

any command switches it from Verses to Words

So you can almost ignore the setting unless you need an option that is dimmed because you are in the wrong mode, but even Words, Commands, and Tags can be entered while in Verse mode, and Accordance just switches.

The button is technically what Apple calls a token, because it is inside the search entry box.

• Like 1

Previous versions of Accordance put the Search Mode selector (Words/Verses) outside the search entry area. I liked that better than the current blue button because it is defining the search mode that will be used to find the search terms; it is not a search term itself. The blue Token Field or inline popup button is more appropriate for text that is typed into a text field, like an email address in the To field of Mail. Here's mockup version 2 of my suggestion.

post-29604-0-27384400-1393782189_thumb.png

The problem with that suggestion is the automatic switching of searching from verses to words and vice-versa. Changing the completely separate drop-down automatically depending on what you have put in the search might appear odd.

• 3 weeks later...

As no response came to my initial plea, I repeat it.

The color is a grey/blue, which does not contrast well with the white letters -- can this be changed?

Is there some reason why there cannot be letters that contrast with the background? Like Green on Black! (or Black on white)???

Personally I don't mind the grey/blue because it matches the default grey/blue colour scheme of the program, but I do have a question for Helen about the new search function.

If the token is set to verse and I search for a single word it automatically switches to word and gives me results. If however, I search for a string of words I get a warning with the message "the Book [first word of the search] cannot be found". Is this a bug?

Edited by jeremyduncan

Having tried this in Greek and English now it appears that if you have the token set to verses and your string is not a word in the text it will throw this error. If the token is words it will throw up an lexical forms or select words dialog. It probably isn't the number of words but that one of them is not in the text.

Apologies to Enoch - this rather strays from your original question. I could find no way currently to alter the colour or rendering of the search type.

Thx

D

Thanks Daniel -- no apology needed; I, myself, went off on a tangent from my primary subject. I guess to get color/contrast selection possible, I would have had to pretend to have poor eyesight & asked for it as a discrimination/reasonable accommodation to handicap (accessibility issue).