7.0.3 installer wiped Accordance

Davidww

I have tried to install 7.0.3 twice now, and both times it has wiped every trace of Accordance from my Mac. Might be just me, but it's a bit of a nuisance reinstalling everything. Any suggestions?

Cheers

The installer for 7.0.3 has been removed from the downloads, and I notice that the announcement message has disappeared as well. Last time I looked Helen had a line saying that there was a problem with the installer, it deleted the entire Accordance application (which is what you're seeing). So the solution would be stick with the previous version until a new version of the 7.0.3 installer is put up on the web.

You are correct, Martin. In all the testing of the installer we did not pick this up, sorry, but we pulled the installer as soon as the problem was reported, and we will post a corrected one as soon as possible. Not all our people work all night, so it has had to wait.

I think only a couple of users actually downloaded the 7.0.3 installer for OS X before the problem was reported and we withdrew the installers. Many apologies to those people. It is a good reminder to us all to make a backup of the Accordance folder, especially those of you are early adopters, and want to be the first to try out the latest version.

The good news is that with the new system of keeping each user's preferences and user files separate in the user's own home, you do not lose everything. You have your user notes and tools and highlights, and you have the Preferences with all installed modules and all your other settings.

You will need to put all your modules back into an Accordance folder, and the easiest way to do that may be to run the installers on each CD. However, if you have many individual unlocks, it may be easier just to copy those modules into Modules/Texts or Modules/Tools. Your own Accordance Preferences will still have all your settings including all your modules. Then you can copy the entire Accordance Preferences folder from user/Library/Preferences/ to the Accordance folder as a further backup in case your own Preferences get corrupted.

I think only a couple of users actually downloaded the 7.0.3 installer for OS X before the problem was reported and we withdrew the installers. Many apologies to those people. It is a good reminder to us all to make a backup of the Accordance folder, especially those of you are early adopters, and want to be the first to try out the latest version.

I guess I was one of the lucky ones... I'm on a MacBook (Intel) and for me neither the 7.0.2 nor the 7.0.3 installers actually work! It gets as far as the Continue... button and the splash screen, but once I hit Continue, the installer crashes. This has happened with the two most recent installers. It looks like the installer is a PPC application (no "Open in Rosetta" option when I get info), so that may be part of the problem.

I should point out that I've never actually successfully installed Accordance on my MacBook - it's a new machine for me, and my 7.0 Accordance was migrated from my old PowerBook. So I never had to install Accordance directly onto the MacBook. The program works fine (though it loads rather slowly) in all other respects.

I should point out that I've never actually successfully installed Accordance on my MacBook - it's a new machine for me, and my 7.0 Accordance was migrated from my old PowerBook. So I never had to install Accordance directly onto the MacBook. The program works fine (though it loads rather slowly) in all other respects.

Are you running it on a stock 512MB RAM machine? I had migrated an Accordance folder from a PowerPC machine to a MacBook for testing/benchmarking (so I too have never tried installing onto an Intel-based Mac), and with 2GB RAM, it was very responsive, even with many apps open.

UPDATE: I just remembered that I helped someone install Accordance 7.0 fresh onto a brand-new MacBook, so I can vouch that it works.

I just ran the 7.0.3 installer on my MacBook and it performed flawlessly. We will contact MindVision's tech support and see if their installers cause problems on MacIntel, but we cannot find any.

Last time this sort of thing happenned the corrected installer had the same version number as the one it replaced eg 6.5.3 (or whatever).

Can you increment the version number next time, eg 6.5.4 or 6.5.3.1?

It's confusing if you don't know if the installer you have is the right one or the wrong one.

Archived