Language Question

natedv

Hello- This is a long shot, but I'll ask it anyways... I'm wondering about using a public domain Bible, Nepali translation, with Accordance. Is there any easy way of working such a PDF file into a user tool and then actually using it? What I'm hoping to do is show English texts along with Nepali - and maybe the only way is through process of cut & paste. My ignorance is on display here, but any answer would be appreciated. Thanks

While someone from Accordance will probably speak more informed, the answer it basically no. The user notes and tools are only set up to handle Roman characters. They can not make use of Unicode characters.

That said, if your Nepali text actually uses Roman character in the normal ASCII range but displays as the proper Nepali glyphs once displayed in a Nepali font (what we call a Legacy font), it might be possible. If it were, word searching would be mostly broken anyhow.

Then, is there a way to look at my PDF and determine if it is unicode?

For starters, copy a few lines and paste it here.

We might be chasing a rabbit, but it looks to me like that is a legacy font, and not garbled Unicode. You can email me the pdf and I can verify. The best thing to do is simply to give it a try. Make a sample text file with just like Genesis 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 and then follow the instructions in the help files for creating a User Bible. Since Nepali is left to right, you would be ok there, but you'll have to set the font for the text to your Nepali font. (Now if you don't have your own legacy Nepali font, this won't work.) Even still, you're bound to have all kinds of display problems, but then again, doesn't hurt to give it a try.

It is a legacy font, so you can give it a try if you can obtain a copy of that font.

Joe

• 6 years later...

Hello! This is an old post but wanted to see if there were any updates in using the Nepali Bible with Accordance? Thanks!

Accordance now supports the import of Unicode Bibles, so if you have access to a text you should be able to import it. Detailed instructions are available in the Help files.