Text color oddity Mark 6:10 NLT-SE

Lorinda H. M. Hoover

I have my NLT-SE module set up to display the text in brown, with red lettering suppressed.

I noticed an oddity in Mark 6:10: The words "he said" appear in black. I've attached a screenshot.

I'm relatively certain that this is related to the red lettering, since on either said of "he said" are the words of Jesus.

If I turn red lettering back on, Jesus' words are in red, but "he said" is still in black, even with the text color set to brown.

None of the other English translations I use put "he said" or similar between two quoted sections in Mark 6:10, so I can't easily tell if this is an issue with all translations or not.

Lorinda

post-407-1246545666_thumb.png

I did some more checking, and this happens a lot in the NLT-SE.

The only other text I have that displays red lettering for Jesus' words appears to be the KJVS, and the problem does not appear there. (But I also noticed that the KJVS does not appear to use quotation marks, either?)

Turning red lettering on in the NRSV, NRSVS, NIV-G/K, God's Word and NET does not result in any red lettering. I presume these modules don't have that feature? I noticed that the hide red lettering option is greyed out for the SEGR, but it is available (when pressing Command-T) for the other modules I mentioned.

Lorinda

Lorinda,

I would have to check the source files for the module, which I don't have readily available at the moment, but my first guess is that this is a mistake in the way we formatted the module. It looks like instead of turning off the red letter, whoever prepared this module explicitly set the text color back to black. Accordance is therefore displaying that black color as a style which overrides the color you've chosen for the text. If that's the case, we need to update the module.

Thanks, David. I was guessing that it was something like that. I can certainly live with it until it can be corrected.

Just to follow up on my second question, I am correct that the NRSV, NRSVS, NIV-G/K, God's Word and NET don't have red lettering for Jesus' words?

Lorinda

Right, only certain texts have been formatted with red-letter, and it really comes back to what we get from the publisher.

Archived