User note link to reference tool?

SabreFlyr

I would like to be able to set a link in my user notes to one of the reference tools (Maclarens Expositions). However, when I try to make a link, it simply links back to the text that it's already attached to. Is this something that I should be able to do? If so, how?

Edited to add: I am trying to use the method described in the help files (Digging Deeper > Creating Your Own Modules > User Tools > Create Links in User Tools, #3). Right clicking in the argument field copies the following as the link: [Maclaren’s Expositions, Reference, ps 37:4] as described. However, the link that is created in my user notes takes me to the verse in a text, not the tool.

Edited by SabreFlyr

I'll be the first to admit I'm a total newbie with Accordance so my comments may be in error.

I think you may be confusing User Notes with User Tools. As I understand it you can't put links in User Notes but you can in User Tools, which is totally different.

(edit) I do see thought the "Link" button and like you said it only shows the current verse, which I don't understand reason for it. I hope someone with more knowledge can help both of us.

Notes link to specific verses but Tools creates it's own module thus you can create your own commentary, book notes, and a lot more. User Notes, since it's linked to verses, will scroll with your text while Tools will not since it's not linked to specific verses.

As least I think that's how it all works. But I would be glad to be proven wrong as I'd love to have at least popups in Notes.

BTW, I have v10 but I think v9 would be the same.

Larry

Edited by LarryW

Larry, I agree that there doesn't appear to be any reason for a link in a user note if it only links back to the verse it's tied to. My purpose is to link to the reference so I don't have to search for it again and don't have to quote all that I'm referring to. (That's bad! Two sentences in a row, both ending in a preposition! :unsure: )

I should have mentioned that I'm using v10.1.2 on Mac OS 10.7.3. I used this issue as my excuse for upgrading to v10 but it's behaving the same way it did in v9.

Just to clarify.

The 'link' in user notes is to allow a scripture reference to display in the instant details pane (or to link to that reference if you click it). Therefore if you have a note for John 1:1 you could write something like "Brings to mind Gen 1:1" You can then select the Gen 1:1 reference and use the link command. This will display that reference in instant details. (Note that you can select the Bible version in the accordance preferences. The preferences also allow you to have a secondary selection which you can use for a version that has the apocrypha if your preferred version does not).

For user tools you are able to link more than just scripture references, which is what you are trying to do from the digging deeper help files. (This will not work in user notes as Larry as mentioned).

The request has been made on a number of occasions to link to other resources and pictures from within notes files. Many of us are hoping it maybe included when the tools and notes are updated at some point in the future.

So, the link is only useful as a cross reference then. Here's another vote for links in user notes to reference tools!

Yeah. In my notes I add stuff like "See EBC @ . . . " and sometimes just copy and paste a clip of the reference into my notes. Being able to add links to the tools would be wonderful.