sync to desktop, but not using wifi?

Abram K-J

I have a slow wifi connection, as it turns out. I just got an iPad mini (woo hoo!) and want to sync its Accordance to my desktop Accordance... I followed the instructions to sync over wifi, but my wifi is slow... is there a faster way? Can I plug the iPad in to the laptop and do it that way? Or do I have to go make a Starbucks run to get up and running? :)

It's a rudimentary question, I know--I haven't yet been able to wade through all the iOS help files, except I did read the one about setting up Accordance on a mobile device if you already have a desktop account.

I'm assuming I don't want to sync using Dropbox, yes?

Also, will that sync erase the demo versions of the Hebrew and Greek Bibles now on my iOS, or is there some other way?

Thanks in advance.

Congrats on the iPad mini, Abram. That's the only device I'm taking with me to Panama next week.

I would have to think that your home wifi would be faster than the one at Starbucks (where I'm typing this right now). What is the speed of your home wifi?

And a wifi sync is going to be faster, of course, than downloading everything over the internet. You could always set it going at night before you go to bed.

Dropbox sync is not yet implemented in the desktop version yet to my knowledge, but is coming soon.

The demo versions should not be erased when you sync.

• Like 1

The local wifi connection between two computers should be faster than your connection to the internet. You might consider using the desktop computer to create an ad hoc network.

• Like 2

Another option is to create an ad-hoc network between your Mac and your iPad. See, for example this page: http://www.tuaw.com/2009/09/25/mac-101-create-a-wireless-network-between-mac-and-iphone/

If you are dependent on wifi for an internet connection on your Mac, you won't have internet while you sync, but you can revert each device to the internet wifi network once you are done syncing.

I would think that a faster router would help you, even if your internet speed isn't that great, since the communication for syncying doesn't require internet access.

Lorinda

Edit: And Jonathan beat me to it...

Edited by Lorinda H. M. Hoover
  • Like 2

Ah, you people are wonderful. Thanks so much. Lorinda, I didn't know how to do what Jonathan recommended until you provided the link. And it worked like a charm! Wow, what at timesaver.

(Rick, I'm sporting 1mbps download speed at the moment--just like AOL days!)

So I synced a bunch of stuff, all really quickly. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

A really helpful thread. Thanks everyone!