What does "tagged" mean?

rborden

Hi everyone,

Okay, here's my stupid question of the day. What does it mean when I read a Greek module is "tagged"? The reason I ask, I am learning how to do a Simple or Greek Construct search and my Greek and Hebrew construct sub menus are grayed out. I have the GNT-TRS loaded which I thought it was "tagged" but apparently not. Some thoughts? I do appreciate, in advance, your time and help!

rb

Hi everyone,

Okay, here's my stupid question of the day. What does it mean when I read a Greek module is "tagged"? The reason I ask, I am learning how to do a Simple or Greek Construct search and my Greek and Hebrew construct sub menus are grayed out. I have the GNT-TRS loaded which I thought it was "tagged" but apparently not. Some thoughts? I do appreciate, in advance, your time and help!

rb

Questions are never stupid, but answers can be. I hope mine isn't :D

A "tag" is a label that is used to give information about a word or group of words (is "attached" to it, so to speak). Therefore, you can have different types of "tagged" texts. In English, the most common "tag" is a Strong's number (or G/K number in a tagged NIV). In original language texts, the tags are usually the parsing information about each word (i.e., the morphological analysis that includes part of speech, lemma or dictionary form, English gloss, etc.) In Accordance, these tags are not displayed in the text pane itself, but the info appears in the Instant Details box when the cursor is placed on any tagged word.

GNT-TRS is one rare example of a Greek text tagged with Strong's numbers, but lacking the grammatical information. That is why the irrelevant menus are dimmed. To make full use of original language texts you have to use GNT-T and BHS-W4, to name just two of them.

Hope this helps.

:) Hi Ruben, thanks for the answer. You also explained the why my sub menus are grayed out. Thanks for that too. By the way, before I purchase Accordance I read your website which helped me make my decision to go with Accordance. Great jog on the website!

rb

Archived