Recommended reading?

Chuck Schneider

Could anyone recommend some useful reading on the topic of the debate about the pros/cons of using either Textus Receptus versus the Nestle-Aland?

I attended a brief introductory course on studying Greek and the instructor brought up this subject as controversial and he even seemed to imply some kind of conspiracy.

I understand that this website is not the place to discuss the topic, but I would really appreciate hearing about any books or websites that might help me to better understand the discussion.

Dan Wallace has some good articles on textual criticism at bible.org. He does deal with this topic in some of them.

Thank you very much!

I'm off and reading.

In addition to the books and articles mentioned in the previous thread, I would highly recommend Robert F. Hull's recent book, The Story of the New Testament Text: Movers, Materials, Motives, Methods, and Models. It describes the history of New Testament textual criticism in detail, but it's much less technical--and subsequently much more readable--than other standard introductions such as Aland and Aland and Metzger and Ehrman. It also includes a brief glossary of key terms and some helpful tables. Even if you haven't had much experience with Greek, you should still be able to get a lot out of this book.

Archived