Feature Request - abbreviations

countach

According to the Accordance Documentation, any abbreviation of a bible book should work as long they are "standard". Of course there isn't really a standard, but there are some incredibly common abbreviations that Accordance doesn't support. Incredibly, Mt, Mk, Lk, Jn, Php, Phm are examples which Accordance doesn't support.

I found this web site about what people are actually typing into a web site to search. Phm is actually the top rated abbreviation, but Accordance doesn't support it:

http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/share/about/

I did a look through the Orthodox Study Bible, to see which of its standard abbreviations are not supported, and came up with this list:

Nm - Numbers (Accordance takes you to Nahum instead.)

1Kg,2Kg,3Kg,4Kg - (1-4 Kings, understandable since this is the LXX numbering but how about as a concession you make the "1-4Kg" abbreviation go to the LXX books of 1,2Sam and 1,2Kings? According to the above statistics nobody would notice, but people studying the LXX would appreciate it.)

1Ez, 2Ez - 1 and 2 Ezra (LXX numbering again, but nobody else is using 1,2Ez, so can't we have it?)

SS - Song of Solomon - This is pretty commonly found abbreviation.

WSol - Wisdom of Solomon

WSir - Wisdom of Sirach

EJer - Epistle of Jeremiah

Mt - Matthew

Mk - Mark

Lk - Luke

Jn - John (Not Jonah!)

Php - Philippians

Phm - Philemon

1Pt - 1 Peter

2Pt - 2 Peter

1Jn,2Jn,3Jn - 1-3 John - This is pretty common also

Another one I've seen pretty often is Jas for James.

The other option is that you give us user configurable abbreviations like Bibleworks has.

Most of the examples you cite do work for me, every one I tried did. Really any combination of letters that is unique to one book does work. We give a list of the standard abbreviations that Accordance displays, but it accepts far more variations. Just try them.

• 10 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I find it particularly frustrating that Php and Phm do not work for Philippians and Philemon respectively. Those are fairly standard abbreviations. Perhaps, a new feature request would be the ability to customize book abbreviations.

Archived