Linking tabs

Gary Pauley

Is there anyway to link tabs so that the text I am viewing in tab 1 pulls up the corresponding reference (commentary) in tab 2? This is probably a basic link command...but I'm not sure.

The easiest thing would be to "Tie" the two tabs together so that they scroll in sync with each other. From either tab, go to the Window menu, the Set... submenu, and then choose Tie to "Name of other Tab." That should do the trick.

The easiest thing would be to "Tie" the two tabs together so that they scroll in sync with each other. From either tab, go to the Window menu, the Set... submenu, and then choose Tie to "Name of other Tab." That should do the trick.

well...I did that...but I can't tell that it did anything. I tied a biblical text in tab 1 and a commentary in tab 2....but nothing.

Well, as you scroll in the Bible text the commentary should show you the commentary on the top verse in the text window.

Ok, I got them to scroll together, cool. But what I would really like (maybe not possible), is to do my search in tab #1 (say, Mark 14:60), and have that search automatically reflected in tabs 2 and 3 (say, commentary and CNTTS). They would be tied not just to scroll together, but in the search criteria...is that doable?

The LINK command will link the search argument, but only between texts of the same language, or tools with fields of the same language. So it would be hard to link the CNTTS and Commentary except to search for a Greek word or an MS, and you cannot link them to the Search window. Now the MERGE command will link reference tools to the search window, but it's very specialized. It would search the reference tool for the hit words in the search window in the commentary on the hit verses from the search window. There are more details in the Help: Advanced Searches, and Dr. J has a very helpful series of Podcasts on the commands.

Archived