How to compare two passages side by side

hogan82

I'm a new Accordance user and I was wondering how I can compare two passages side by side (e.g., Gen 20 and Gen 12:10-20) in the same Bible version in Accordance 10? I've seen discussions of this for Accordance 9, which talk about the "tie scrolling" checkbox, but that doesn't seem be a feature in Accordance 10. I've also seen the mention of the temporary Ctrl–Click-and-Drag Scroller solution, but that seems a bit cumbersome, especially if the passages are far apart in the Bible. I know I must be missing something very simple here. Can anybody help?

Blessings!
Tom

Hi Tom,

welcome to Accordance. I hope we can help you!

As to your question, it depends on what you mean exactly. If you just want to display 2 texts side by side, that's pretty simple.

When you first open Accordance, you will probably have a single workspace with a single tab in it (depending on how you set it up). If you open a new tab (CMD-N) you will get a second tab with your default text.

if you then click and hold the second tab, you can drag it to the right (a sort of ghost image will appear and show you where it will appear) and then let the button go. You will have that second tab now in a new zone which is independent to the first one and you can put different searches in each one - even different resources if you wish. If you have 2 texts open and you tie them together they will no longer be able to be independent to each other (ie they will attempt to display the same verses) and you cannot use the "compare text" button, as this only works in parallel panes in the same language with the same pericope.

Here are some screenshots of how to do it.

post-29509-0-34701900-1359076355_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-77552100-1359076506_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-85495600-1359076329_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-51635000-1359076332_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-52475800-1359076339_thumb.pngpost-29509-0-78041900-1359076347_thumb.png

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

Ken,

Wow, thank you so much for the quick and detailed response! I knew it had to be something easy like that, but I just couldn't figure out how to create a new zone instead of a new tab. Works like a charm!

Blessings!
Tom

My pleasure Tom

Tom: Ken's answer helped me to 'relearn' something once again; so thanks for your question.

Ken: Thanks not only for the answer but for the pictures. They really do help a lot. And one thing I noticed this time was the ability to open the first one and then click NEXT which of course saves having to close each one before opening the next one! Maybe this possibility has always been there and I just never noticed!

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

the capability has always been there, but I think the pictures have to be adjacent in the post, rather than separated by text. (I am not sure about this)