LXX Translation of a Hebrew Word

Dieudonne

How can I get a list of all the Greek words in the LXX that translate a particular Hebrew Word? Do I have to search the Hebrew word and manually compare it with the LXX or there is an easier way to do in on Accordance? Thankful

This thread has some discussion as to how to set up this kind of search--post again if it doesn't clear things up for you.

Do you have the MT-LXX Parallel module in Accordance?

Thanks Abram. The thread is helpful but it is a very complex process. Is there a simpler way? No, I don't have the MT-LXX Parallel module.

I don't know of a simpler way. I agree that it's a lot to set up to be able to run what (at least in one's head) feels like a single search or inquiry. But once you set it up the first time, you can save the Workspace and it's easy to do at that point. There's even a relevant workspace you can download from the Exchange, but you need the MT-LXX Parallel to run it.

Recently Accordance allowed Greek and Hebrew to appear together in the same text pane as an interlinear, but I don't think you can run the kind of search you want to run without the MT-LXX Parallel.

Perhaps Helen or Rick or someone can correct me if I'm wrong, or if there's another way to do it other than the typical way Accordance has suggested to do such a search.

Dieudonne, the only way to accurately do this type of information is with a search and the MT-LXX Parallel module. There's really no other way to do this, as only the MT-LXX has the Hebrew/Greek matching. The MT-LXX is extremely powerful and sophisticated, but you can set up a search to do what you want fairly easily, actually.

1) Open an HMT-W4 tab containing the Hebrew word you wish to consider.

2) Open a tab with the MT-LXX Parallel tool, and enter the command [MERGE HMT-W4].

3) To filter your list, use the gear at the top-right of the MT-LXX tool and select Show Text As -> Add Titles

This will give you a list of each greek/hebrew pair matching. As it stands, there is no way to have Accordance collapse and analyze the entire list, but you can hopefully work through it pretty quickly. If you do need a count on each word, this can be done with a few more steps that I can show you.

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 3.59.42 PM.png

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I will consider buying the MT-LXX Parallel. With this module can I do a reverse search from LXX to MT as well (i.e. search a Greek word and be able to see the Hebrew words it translates)?

Yep, just start with the LXX text, and MERGE the search into the MT-LXX database. It is completely bidirectional in that way. Main restriction is that the MT-LXX is not using lemmas, so it’s important to get your first search correct.

I tried to do what you suggested to do, but the results I got are a bit different. Different in the sense that the MERGE command is showing all the verses, but not just the HITS from the HMT-W4.

Do I need to do something different?

post-31592-0-82856300-1412628613_thumb.png

Joel (Madasu), did you adjust the setting Joel (Brown) suggests? Select the gear icon in the MT-LXX pane to "Show Text As" then select "Add Titles." I think you probably have "All Text" (the top one) selected.

AK-J just beat me to it. That’s what I would think is the issue Joel M.

Ah! :) I got it now.. Yes, I missed to change the "Add Titles."

Thank you!

No problems!

Dieudonne, the only way to accurately do this type of information is with a search and the MT-LXX Parallel module. There's really no other way to do this, as only the MT-LXX has the Hebrew/Greek matching. The MT-LXX is extremely powerful and sophisticated, but you can set up a search to do what you want fairly easily, actually.

1) Open an HMT-W4 tab containing the Hebrew word you wish to consider.

2) Open a tab with the MT-LXX Parallel tool, and enter the command [MERGE HMT-W4].

3) To filter your list, use the gear at the top-right of the MT-LXX tool and select Show Text As -> Add Titles

This will give you a list of each greek/hebrew pair matching. As it stands, there is no way to have Accordance collapse and analyze the entire list, but you can hopefully work through it pretty quickly. If you do need a count on each word, this can be done with a few more steps that I can show you.

http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2014-10-06 at 3.59.42 PM.png

Hi I tried this and on step 2 I get an error that says I am trying to work with a tab (HMT-W4) that is using "verses" and that is not permitted. However I had it set to "words" prior to entering the merge command but somehow that got changed to "verses" during command execution.

I have screen shots but trying yo figure out how to post them. Any clues? Thanks, Dave.

p.s. ok I see I can post files will do that.

screen shot.pdf

Edited by dlrude

Dirude, you need to run a search in your HMT-W4 to bring that into MT-LXX. The point of the Merge command is to find the words you looked for in your HMT-W4 tab in the LXX. Just enter the Hebrew word you wish to consider in your HMT-W4 tab.

Hello Joel

How can I copy only one Word in the HMT-W4 or BHS-T. Always if I want copy paste to word or to the search field in Accordance it comes the full verse with the numbering?

Greetings

Fabian

Fabian, what command are you using to copy and paste? If I select a single word and type Command-C, it pastes just the word. Like so:

מִשָּׁמַ֖יִם

Hello Joel

cmd+c and cmd+v

or drag and drop has the same result

by me:

‏ישעיה לה6 אז ידלג כ איל פסח ו תרן לשון אלם כי נבקעו ב מדבר מים ו נחלים ב ערבה

the full verse but without the punctuation.
Have I false settings?
Greetings
Fabian

How are you selecting your word? Double click?

Yes, and of your question I have select without Double click, and now the problem is gone. That I have a few weeks. Strange... but I know I have this also tested before. And now with Double click it comes normal too. Very strange... This was happen only in Hebrew texts in all other it was ever normal. Strange... Strange...

Do you have an Idea, why this very strange... very strange ... came?

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Oh I forget to say above that I have change in the export settings in Hebrew "all caracters and space" to "none"

Greetings

Fabian

Dirude, you need to run a search in your HMT-W4 to bring that into MT-LXX. The point of the Merge command is to find the words you looked for in your HMT-W4 tab in the LXX. Just enter the Hebrew word you wish to consider in your HMT-W4 tab.

Thanks Joel,

It was operator error, what a surprize! :-) It works for me now.

Dave