Accordance Services in Action

R. Mansfield

Last week, I published a blog post describing Accordance Services (see "Have You Discovered Accordance Services?")

This morning, I added a quick video demonstrating the concepts described in the blog post.

You can check out the Accordance Services in action at either of the two links below:

Vimeo:

YouTube:

• Like 2

Well done Rick. I am a heavy user of Accordance Services. The one I use the most is the one that I created myself which is Query Insert Verses. That way whenever I want to insert a passage all I have to do is invoke a Command keystroke and it pops up a dialog box that allows me to type the passage I want. I can do all this without taking my hands off the keyboard.

I want to encourage you to do more of these quick tip videos. Only one suggestion, please go for a higher resolution. (Sorry, I just noticed the Vimeo was in HD, I clicked on the Youtube link because it was larger).

Edited by Tony Lawrence

Actually, the YouTube can be seen in higher resolution than the Vimeo version. My edit was at 1080p. Vimeo reduces this to 720p by default, but the YouTube video can be run at fullscreen at any size up to 1080p.

Nice job, Rick.

I've already finished the code to fix the window-sizing problem brought on in 10.10. It should arrive in a future update.

Actually, the YouTube can be seen in higher resolution than the Vimeo version. My edit was at 1080p. Vimeo reduces this to 720p by default, but the YouTube video can be run at fullscreen at any size up to 1080p.

Mine defaulted to 144p. I was able to change the settings to 1080p but the refresh was extremely slow.

Thanks to Joe Weaks for all he has done on providing the code for the Services.

Is it possible to have the option of removing the quotation marks and reference from the verse? Hebrew verses have left-to-right quotation marks and it would be nice to be able to not have the reference given in situations like copying to a spreadsheet.

I believe it uses the citation formatting established in Preferences -> Citation.

• Like 1

Thanks Joel! I feel a bit dumb for not finding that myself.

One more issue...

All Latin and Greek characters appear fine even when I change fonts in the document that I'm inserting the verses into (I like my Linguists Software fonts). But some Hebrew characters appear fine once inserted but then get wonky if the font is changed. And other Hebrew characters appear wonky once inserted but fine if the font is changed (I'm using NewJerusalemU). The first image is Ex 20:20 inserted into Mellel and left as Times New Roman. The second has been changed to New Jerusalem U.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ANYSoD6E3uw/VFEipeNdNbI/AAAAAAAAAAM/3EricOWXJZY/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-29%2Bat%2B11.51.03%2BAM.png

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-WDAI4CqiIb8/VFEi4bxm5HI/AAAAAAAAAAU/TJLbxUSGAzw/s1600/Screen%2BShot%2B2014-10-29%2Bat%2B11.51.31%2BAM.png

The holem above the aleph in /vayyomer/ looks fine in Times New Roman, but gets moved back above the yod if changed to NewJerusalemU. The munach in Mosheh is on top of the seghol (instead of to the left of it) in Times New Roman, but is corrected when changed to NewJerusalemU. The dagesh lene inside the tav in /'al-tiyra'u/ is not centered in Times New Roman, but is corrected when I change to NewJerusalemU.

D

Edited by dlr09

Daniel,

These look like render differences between the two fonts.

Do you get the same problem when you paste text manually from either Accordance or your own Hebrew bible text and then switch between the fonts?

Do you get the same problem when you're pasting with the Services into a different word processor than Mellel?

No problems with copying from mellel files into textedit. Much better copying from Accordance than inserting with Services, though there was still the problem of the munach and seghol. No holem or dagesh problems though.

Same with inserting via Services into textedit: better but still the munach issue

update: everything works better in pages.

Edited by Daniel R

'nother question

Is it possible to use Accordance Services with User Tools? For example, if I have a Bible translation as a User Tool that is not available on Accordance, can I type a verse reference in Pages and use Accordance Services to get the User Tool translation?

(Or please get the ERV on Accordance! Its my go-to for younger readers.)

Not using the auto-paste service. Although........

You can use the Search with Options to jump to that User Tool and view that verse reference. You can also save it as a Workspace and search it that way.

But, you could also customize a new service, that searches the text in your User tool as the previous service but also will grab the results and paste it into your document. Customize, using Automator, by adding Automator Actions to:

1: copy the results to the clipboard from Accordance, and

2: Hide Accordance, which effectively brings your previous Pages or whatever back to the front

3: paste in the result.

There's a readME file with the dowloaded Services with info to get one started on rolling your own.

So, yes, you can.

• Like 1

(Or please get the ERV on Accordance! Its my go-to for younger readers.)

You surely cannot mean the English Revised Version (NT 1881)?

Joe, thanks for the continuing help. I'll totally buy you a meal at SBL if you like.

Alistair, No, The ERV I refer to is the Easy-to-Read Version. Its on a fourth grade reading level and predates other meaning-based translations like NLT, CEV, and God's Word For All Men (though it has been updated since the 1970's). I believe the latest version is 2004.

Hey, just installed Accordance 11. Take a bow everyone! Thinking about installing Accordance services, but the link to the install is for Accordance 10.4.5. Will this work with Accordance 11? Am I not finding the correct link? Thanks.

Some changes were made to the underlying Automator Actions that are components of the Services, in order to work with the new UI requirements of OS X 10.10, but the Services themselves are unchanged. You can DL and have at it.

Post if you see any issues.

• 2 weeks later...

Installed services for Accordance 11x and am running Yosemite. The Automator is definitely running, but when Accordance opens, nothing happens. Really pumped about using services!

Drew,

Which Service were you trying to use? Do this:

1. Open TextEdit

2. Type: Mark 14:52

3. Highlight that reference

4. Select menu: TextEdit/Services/Acc - View Verses

Does Accordance come to the front and then display Mark 14:52?

If not, the mostly likely scenario is that your default module doesn't contain that reference.

Repeat it with an OT reference; I suggest: 2Kings 2:24

Report back.

Tony,

Remember that Joe made the services, not someone employed by Accordance. I suspect that it will take someone like Joe on the Windows side to make that happen.

D

Daniel, to clarify, Accordance did create the new versions of the Services.

I have made Scripts and Services to work with Accordance for years.

But the current and improved Services that we're now using with Accordance belong to Accordance. They hired a programmer to write the services and more importantly to create the built-in Automator Actions that make them so much more useful now.

But, to your point, they use an inter-application technology built into OS X, one which does not exist in Windows. There may eventually be another way of skinning that cat, however.