Atlas: City's level of importance

Thomas

I would like to change the level of importance of some cities so that they remain in view when zooomed out beyond 1:380000. For example, I want to see Carchemish when zoomed at, say, 1:1959000. As it is now, I have to be at least at 1:380000 to see it which doesn't help to see in relationship to other near by cities. I increased the font size to 200%, but the city, I'm guessing, is set to level 1 of importance or similar.

There is no way to modify the Atlas data. The best I can suggest is that you either:

Highlight the name by amplifying to it or using the Find box

or

Make a User Layer displaying this and other sites at the desired zoom level.

I would like to change the level of importance of some cities so that they remain in view when zooomed out beyond 1:380000.

You're right, the "Importance" rating is pretty subjective. If I were a Carchemish scholar, I suppose I'd take exception with the 1 rating. :)

While the Accordance application doesn't offer user options for adjusting the rating of a site, the data file is of course yours to do with as you will, so you're free to manually edit the Map data file yourself. It's really pretty straightforward, if you get beyond how imposing it sounds.

Bumping Carchemish from an Importance rating of 1 to a 3 is simply a matter of opening the Map Data file in a hex editor and changing one hex bit from "01" to "03".

This is something I'd definitely do this if there are low ranking sites that I work with alot.

If you're venturing a try, just send me a note and I can walk you through it.

Note: A developer would never suggest or condone modifying their data file, for good reason.

Joe:

You are correct. We absolutely do not endorse messing with the data files, and we will not provide tech support for anyone who gets into trouble doing so.

Please do not encourage people to hack into the files.

Archived