Using Accordance to locate themes in place of Nave's Topical Bible

rgarcia10

Hi! Is there a way to use Accordance to discern biblical themes throughout the bible similar to what Nave's does? I have the KJV Nave's but it's language is so antiquated it is hard to use (I use the NIV or ESV usually). I'm interested in learning how to track biblical themes even when passages use different language (like doing biblical theology). I'd appreciate any help with this... Thanks!

R. Antonio

Nave's Topical Bible is a tool, and is not tied to a particular text (i.e., translation or original Scripture): part of the power of Accordance).

If you open Nave's, search for the theme you wish to explore and then click on the Scripture reference, it will open another zone with that reference in your default text (which you can set in Preference > Tool Display on the right under Hypertext [Text and Alternate Text]). You could then choose NIV or ESV or whatever as those default texts to open for hyperlinks.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Michael J. Bolesta

It would be great to be able to search by topic or idea in Accordance, but it is not currently possible. Naves and other topical tools are the best option at present.

If you are willing to do such a search manually, I recommend starting with a good Bible dictionary or Wordbook. Look up the topic that interests you and read the article. This will give you a good overview. Then, make a list of all of the important words mentioned in the article. Search for them by making a list of them, separated by commas, and enclosed in parentheses: (faith, faithfulness, trust, trustworthy). Depending upon your abilities and resources, this list can be of English words (already illustrated), key numbers {in which case the search string would look like this: [KEY G3640] <OR> [KEY G4100] or ([KEY G3640], [KEY G4100]) }, or original language lemmas.

Once you've completed your search, use Details>Hits Graph to locate important passages where these words occur frequently.

even when passages use different language (like doing biblical theology).

R. Antonio

An additional database would be required to facilitate such a search. It's an interesting database to consider—yet there are several significant assumptions in what is said above, particularly as it relates to a semantic theory which posits meaning is abstract from language. This isn't the place to discuss the various linguistic issues between say functional and formal linguistics, but everyone should be aware that any database—even Naves—makes linguistic assumptions that are formative in what connections are suggested. Even today, I find myself pondering whether the term "intertextuality" is an effective way to characterize interchange of language between source A to source B. Regardless, my point is that this part of the research is left to the User's ingenuity and curiosity.

• 10 months later...

Any updates on this? This would be a very valuable tool!

I find Alister McGrath's NIV Thematic Reference Bible (available on Accordance) useful here.

I find Alister McGrath's NIV Thematic Reference Bible (available on Accordance) useful here.

That title was re-released as the Dictionary of Bible Themes: http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Bible%20Themes%20Dictionary

I have found the Dictionary of Bible Themes to be highly helpful most of the time. Another tool I use is Cross References (once I have found a passage that deals with the topic at hand).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! All these suggestions have been great!

Another useful print resource is Roget's Thesaurus of the Bible--particularly the editions that use Roget's system of grouping topics, not so much those that are organized alphabetically. As with any thematic "index" of Scripture, there are particular biases/interpretive decisions at play. For example, all references to wine or alcohol show up under drunkenness, at least in the edition I have. But I still found it a useful resource when I was using print resources more. If I had it in Accordance I'd use it again.