Copying Hebrew Text to Pages

Rick Paquette

Sometimes when I copy Hebrew text to Pages, the last few Hebrew words appearing on a new line have a different font than the rest of the text. These words seem bound in some way to the text reference following the text. How do I prevent this from happening?

Also, the citation doesn't always appear correctly when the text is divided over two lines. Part of the citation appears to the left of the first line and the rest of it appears to the left of the second line.

Also, I would like to divide poetic lines, but I haven't been able to edit the paste to Pages in any way. Is there any way to edit text once it has been pasted to Pages?

Finally, would I be better off using OpenOffice or Mellel than Pages?

(I do have the unicode option checked in my preferences.)

For working with that much text, you'll find Mellel preferable to Pages.

Sometimes when I copy Hebrew text to Pages, the last few Hebrew words appearing on a new line have a different font than the rest of the text. These words seem bound in some way to the text reference following the text. How do I prevent this from happening?

Also, the citation doesn't always appear correctly when the text is divided over two lines. Part of the citation appears to the left of the first line and the rest of it appears to the left of the second line.

Also, I would like to divide poetic lines, but I haven't been able to edit the paste to Pages in any way. Is there any way to edit text once it has been pasted to Pages?

Finally, would I be better off using OpenOffice or Mellel than Pages?

(I do have the unicode option checked in my preferences.)

Pages does not really handle RTL text well. Yes, you would be better off with OOo, Mellel or Nisus.

Wow, what quick responses! Thanks.

Will OpenOffice work as well as Mellel? If not, what are the shortcomings?

OpenOffice has been a bit neglected lately (there's a lot of discussion about this out there on the internet). Another group has tried to improve on it with a product called LibreOffice. I have it on my Mac, but haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet.

I'd suggest you seriously consider Mellel since it's practically made for what you're describing.

Edited by R. Mansfield

Wow, what quick responses! Thanks.

Will OpenOffice work as well as Mellel? If not, what are the shortcomings?

We'll see which 'Rick' beats whom here.

Yes, OpenOffice (OOo) will work just fine. Mellel is superior, but not free (minimal investment and free upgrades for life).

d'oh! I guess Mavis Beacon didn't do me justice here. :)

By the way, for anyone else reading this, no one is allow to post to this discussion unless your name is Rick.

• Like 1

Rick Stawarz should chime in and we'd have a record!

I say stick with Pages as much as you can. But I'm a former Apple employee and I can't help but not only use Apple products....

~Rick

Edited by Rick

For working with that much text, you'll find Mellel preferable to Pages.

Rick,

I just purchased Mellel for my MAC...I am a very beginner at MAC..I use it for Accordance software only...I have a question...how can I paste a table from one of my many resources I have selected out of my Accordance tools into Mellel....I spent a hour or so trying to do this and could not figure out how...for example when I use the parsing tool in table form...I cannot copy it into Mellel....or when I select a table or chart in a Greek primer, I can not get it to copy as a table...I get the information but it loses the table form.....I cannot seem to get Accordance to print "parsing" tables correctly...it "seems to lose the outer edges" ....I wanted to be able to cut and paste various things into a word document ....any suggestions? Thanks for your help...

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

These tools have been designed to export with tabs, so perhaps all you need to do is set up the tabs for the document so the columns appear where you want them.

Do not bother with OpenOffice... Give the LibreOffice fork of the software a try. It is a very powerful suite of apps.

These tools have been designed to export with tabs, so perhaps all you need to do is set up the tabs for the document so the columns appear where you want them.

Helen,

Thank you for answering...however I do not understand what you mean by setting up tabs for the document....for example when I use the parsing of a verse...how do I set up tabs....I briefly checked Accordance help but I am a little confused (normal for me).

do I set up tabs in Mellel?....I am more of a visual learner...that is what I bought Accordance for because of it great visual abilities....or should I buy another word processor?????

Frank

I am willing to show you via a scheenshare session. You can send me a personal message with your contact information on iChat or Skype or phone.

I am willing to show you via a scheenshare session. You can send me a personal message with your contact information on iChat or Skype or phone.

Helen,

Thanks for your generous offer...I sent you an email with my contact information...

Frank

Edited by fmcfee

Do not bother with OpenOffice... Give the LibreOffice fork of the software a try. It is a very powerful suite of apps.

Thanks for the feedback; it's been a couple months since I launched OpenOffice and had not heard of LibreOffice.

I would like to divide poetic lines, but I haven't been able to edit the paste to Pages in any way. The cursor can only be positioned at the beginning or the end of the pasted text. Nor am I allowed to select a portion of the pasted text; it's all or nothing. Is there any way to edit text once it has been pasted to Pages?

• 2 months later...

Another Rick chiming in here. I just came across LibreOffice and this post today after looking for Word options. I have Mellel and will dig into it more, but Joe has me curious now.

We should start a "Ricks for Accordance" club.