Search string vs. Construct search, same search (?), different results

Abram K-J

Not to take the original thread off-topic, I wanted to post again here.

Is there a reason why my search in the top left zone and my linked construct search in the bottom left zone are returning different results? Aren't the queries (whether text or construct) phrased identically? Or am I missing something?

post-31802-0-46200400-1400794082_thumb.png

P.S. Just checked the "Search both directions" box in the Greek Construct. Two searches are closer now, but only the text search

θεος <WITHIN 2 Words> [VERB] <WITHIN 2 Words> κοσμος

picks up two instances where the three search items appear in the order of [VERB] θεος κοσμος, whereas the Construct search picks up the order

θεος [VERB] κοσμος

or

κοσμος [VERB] θεος

but not

[VERB] θεος κοσμος

The reason is that the Construct search is always precise, it always finds the words in the order you specify, or the complete reverse order if you check the box. It is as if it had an implied between each column. In your search tab each looks in both directions, and in this case could be very imprecise depending on how the search string is executed. It's possible that it is using the between the first and last terms as well.

Thanks, Helen--that makes sense. So maybe I was reading the Help files right after all--"WITHIN" in a Construct Search is really "FOLLOWED BY" and therefore not the same as "WITHIN" in a search tab?

Not exactly, the Construct is always "FOLLOWED BY" whether or not you limit the "WITHIN."

Okay--so if I was trying to get my two searches to match (i.e., if the results of my search tab query got me closer to what I was looking for), would there be a way to use the Construct search to set up the same thing as what I had in my search tab? (i.e., θεος <WITHIN 2 Words> [VERB] <WITHIN 2 Words> κοσμος)

...but also wanting the order [VERB] θεος κοσμος to be able to appear in the results.

Or is this just an instance (I suspect so) where using both methods of searching is helpful?

Hey Abram,

θεος <WITHIN 2 Words> <FOLLOWED BY> [VERB] <WITHIN 2 Words> <FOLLOWED BY> κοσμος

and this :

post-32023-0-27511400-1400900089_thumb.jpg

That gets the two to match though hit counting between the two methods differs.

Then to get the additional piece you can set up another construct and then alter the tab to present results for both. So set up this additional construct

post-32023-0-33006200-1400900428_thumb.jpg

and change your search tab to : [link Greek Construct] <OR> [link Greek Construct 2]

Does that help ?

Thx

D

Ah, yes--I didn't think of doing an "OR" search with two constructs. Good idea for a workaround... and does what I'm asking about.

It would probably mess with the Construct too much to do this in a future update (?) but I could envision scenarios (especially in Greek and Hebrew where verb/subject/object order vary) where having the elements not have to sequentially follow each other could be beneficial. But with just three items, what you're describing, Daniel, seems to work just fine. Thanks!

Well you can also do this if you know which verbs you want :

post-32023-0-42017600-1400902960_thumb.jpg

What I think you want is to be able to OR within a column and stack VERB, and LEX in the on column. That is not how it operates now but I suspect such a thing could be added. Easy for me to say of course, just mangling the search engine from afar :)

Thx

D

Ok I'll stop now but one last thought. You can put different parts of speech in the same column as alternatives - something I just learnt now. Now if you could attach a LEX restriction to each individually that would do it. Rather like this search below though it does not work currently:

post-32023-0-50277800-1400904385_thumb.jpg

Thx

D