Copy as References without "."

Martin Shields

This is a pretty minor thing, but something I find time consuming. When using "Copy as references" (from the Edit menu) the book abbreviations are terminated by a ".". Many of the publication guidelines for (e.g. SBL as specified in the SBL Handbook of Style") specify that abbreviations for biblical books should not end with a period.

Would it be possible to make this either an option or the default for "Copy as references"?

(Perhaps it would be possible to have a config file which contains the abbreviations? I'd also like to use "Qoh" as an abbreviation for Ecclesiastes.)

• 1 month later...
This is a pretty minor thing, but something I find time consuming. When using "Copy as references" (from the Edit menu) the book abbreviations are terminated by a ".". Many of the publication guidelines for (e.g. SBL as specified in the SBL Handbook of Style") specify that abbreviations for biblical books should not end with a period.

Would it be possible to make this either an option or the default for "Copy as references"?

(Perhaps it would be possible to have a config file which contains the abbreviations? I'd also like to use "Qoh" as an abbreviation for Ecclesiastes.)

I have asked myself for this possibility once, and the answer was that it was not a much requested feature. Now I am glad to see that other people also feel the need.

In fact, when you have to follow different publication guidelines, you need to format you references in different ways (with /without dots, different book names, or even "," instead of ":" and "." instead of "," when dividing chapter/verse or non contiguous verses, etc.).

Hopefully other voices are heard...

Archived