Importing Bibles

Justin Burt

I am trying to import a user Bible and keep getting the error message, "The reference 'Ruth 4:1' cannot be out of order with the previous reference.". I have gone over my text so many times and nothing is out of order. I have Ruth 3:18 and then the next line is Ruth 4:1. Everything seems to be in order. Is there a known bug, or am I missing something? Any help would be great.

OK, I got the file (that was quick) and it imports fine for me. You will either need to send the entire text (what language is it anyway?), or play with it yourself to see whether making a copy of the file works, whether adding more books causes the error, or what? I prefer you do it as I am very busy.

Helen,

I just put the file on my website. I am currently in Central Java and for some reason my e-mail won't send large files to you, but my website will upload the file in minutes. So go to web.mac.com/justin_burt and you will where to click. The file is ITB.txt. Just right click and select "Download Linked File". It should be about a 4.9MB download. Thank you so much for looking into to this for me.

Also, am I reading the User Tools help file right, it says that if we import tools we have from other programs, like BADG & HALOT from BibleWorks, and they are also on the CD-ROMs I already have, they will update themselves on my computer from the Accordance CD-ROMs?

Justin

I will look at your file in a little while.

We do not recommend importing whole tools from other software, and why would you if you have those tools on Accordance CD-ROMs? Upgrades only work for our own modules.

I will look at your file in a little while.

We do not recommend importing whole tools from other software, and why would you if you have those tools on Accordance CD-ROMs? Upgrades only work for our own modules.

I have yet to purchase those tools from Accordance. I have purchased the Scholar's Core Bundle, but I am really missing BDAG, and I am finding them hard to sell here in Indonesia. That is the only reason I would want to import tools from other programs.

Justin

I think there is a bug in the program, perhaps there is a huge vocabulary of Indonesian words which is "overflowing" at some point. Ruth and other smaller sections like Gen-Deut import correctly. The message is incorrect, and we will look into it. In the meantime I would break it up and import a few books at a time into separate modules. Also, once you get an error, I would quit Accordance and restart to clear the decks.

Thanks for your help. I am actually preparing for my tribal translation project that is still about a year away, so I am in no hurry, expect that I would love to use it in Accordance to mark scriptural terminology. Once I have imported this text, will future Indonesian translations import ok? or does each import have a different vocabulary list? Not really all that important, just curious.

Justin

Helen,

I just tried to import a second Indonesian translation into Accordance and it gave me the same error for the same verse. When I try to import just a book or two it works fine. This translation has about 1/3 more words the the previous translation I tried, but it stops on the same verse??? Anyway, I hope this extra information can help.

Justin

I'm particularly interested in this thread as well. I've spent about a month trying to import a Bible, and I get the same error message regarding Ruth. I thought it was just me, but now at least I can have confidence in the formatting of my text, and I'm just waiting for the Accordance Import bug to be fixed. Thanks for looking into it Helen! I really appreciate how you take the time to follow up.

Helen,

I have been playing with this import for a while now and here is what I have seen:

1. When importing Genesis - Judges it works fine.

2. When I try to import Ruth - Malachi it gives me the error at Ruth 4:1. (Would this disprove the the vocabulary being too much for Accordance to handle?)

3. I can import Ruth just fine without any other books attached. It is once I add just one book that the error occurs.

4. When I try to import the entire NT, I get the error in Romans 16:1. Again the same is true with Romans as with Ruth, it works fine alone??? I am assuming that this would mean

that the formatting is correct.

5. When I try to import the entire Old or New Testament without these two books, the location switches to an early reference that actually precedes these books, Judges for Ruth and

Acts for Romans.

I hope this helps. I do keep restarting Accordance every time the error occurs. I have only tested it with one of my translations, would you like me to try the other one and see if it is the same?

Justin Burt

PS - I am running Accordance 7.3.

• 3 weeks later...

Accordance 7.4 error messages for importing Bibles are extremely clear, thank you. I edited my files and imported them just fine. Thanks for the timely updates you continue to give.

I do have one more question:

After the User Bible import, it asks for the full name of the text and then asks for "Other Text Information", so I type in:

The Indonesia Bahasa Indonesia Sehari-hari 1985 (BIS) Copyright

Edited by Justin Burt

Sorry, the info in About the Text is limited, but just supply the rest in a Read Me document that can accompany the module, and I will make sure that the link on the exchange also mentions it.

• 13 years later...

Hello

I would love to see this Bibles in Accordance https://alkitab.sabda.org/bible.php?book=23&chapter=64&tab=text# They have all  to be a good Bible. Footnotes, Red-letters, Headings in a separate file https://alkitab.sabda.org/bible.php?book=23&chapter=64&tab=titles

Here in Strong’s mode. 

And don’t forget: It seems they have more than ONE Bible, so take as much you can. 
The Address is below the website.

Thanks

Fabian

• 1 year later...
On 2/7/2021 at 11:36 PM, Fabian said:

Hello

I would love to see this Bibles in Accordance https://alkitab.sabda.org/bible.php?book=23&chapter=64&tab=text# They have all  to be a good Bible. Footnotes, Red-letters, Headings in a separate file https://alkitab.sabda.org/bible.php?book=23&chapter=64&tab=titles

Here in Strong’s mode. 

And don’t forget: It seems they have more than ONE Bible, so take as much you can. 
The Address is below the website.

Thanks

Fabian

@Mark Allison please go in contact with they. They have at least two Strong's tagged Bibles with a Strong's dictionary. Also they have some commentaries etc.

Fabian

May they will help to translate the Accordance UI to their language too.