Will Android get to join the party?

Nathan Jewett

With the recent announcement that development is well under way for a PC version, I can't help but ask if there are any plans for Android development? I fit into that odd group that loves the Mac for my personal computing, but prefer Android for my mobile devices. When Accordance was only on the Mac, I completely understood the desire to restrict development to iOS. However, I couldn't help but get a little hopeful with the Windows announcement.

So, any chance on seeing Accordance on Android? :)

Hey Nathan! Nothing to announce on the Android front at this point, but we know you are certainly not the only Mac + Android fan. At the moment, especially in light of the Accordance 10 for Mac launch and the Windows development, we are trying to allocate our development resources wisely and create the best product possible on the current formats. Quality is of the utmost importance and we don't want to spread ourselves too thin. That being said, anything is possible for the future and we will continue to assess our development options.

I've stated this already, but I believe that the move to Windows will grow the Accordance user base exponentially. Consider that there are more Windows users who use iPads and iPhones than Mac users simply because more people use Windows. If I'm right about the growth of Accordance users, that means there will be more income going to OakTree. With that they can hire more programmers and who knows? Maybe in addition to Mac, Windows, and iOS, we'll see Android, Windows phone and Ubuntu flavors of Accordance!

"From your lips to God's ears!"

• 3 months later...

Any word yet as to the future possibility of an Android version?

My personal thought is that you are missing out on a very large market by not having an Android version of Accordance. There are a lot of Mac users that use Android, myself included.

Please, please, pretty please do Accordance for Android!

OK, I know the last line sounded a bit silly, but I would love to see this.

Blessings,

Tim

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Android release. I have Mac and iOS devices. I have used Windoze and still have a laptop running 7 that I picked up for 150 to run a few things that just won't play well in a virtual session or through WINE. I have bought and returned a half dozen Android tablets hoping that each time they would somehow get to the point where they were even remotely close to the quality of iOS. Each time I try, it seems they are getting better but so far they haven't made it to prime time yet. Windoze is a sinking ship, I think. Windoze 8 is absolutely horrific. I almost bought a new laptop the other day but they would not or could not sell it to me with anything but Windoze 8 on it. They were dumbfounded when I walked away from a pretty good deal. I asked them to knock another 150 off the price and wipe the drive and they wouldn't do it so... I left. While there are still a lot of older users of products such as XP, Vista, and 7... slowly but surely, M$ is going to alienate all their former users by forcing this latest disaster on them. Slowly but surely, there will be a reduction in customer base over at the Borg and it will be just like turning termites lose in a wood building.

As they are currently working on porting our beloved program to operate on the evil mechanations of the Borg, they will have to complete that first before considering work on another platform. I am questioning the wisdom of going to Windoze. It will become a huge millstone about their necks as they deal with viruses, security patches and a whole nightmarish array of problems specific to Windoze. I am amazed that Android has not been wiped out by viruses either. It essentially is just java sitting on top of a linux kernel. We all know what security issues java brings to the table with it. Apple dropped support of it entirely for that very reason.

WOW!

Is this reply from good ole Albert E. for real or is it spam?

Who said anything about Windows?

I simply stated that I hope they do an Android version of Accordance.

Tim

I got a bit off track but the point was that they have their hands full with the Windoze port. I am sure that they will also do more work on iOS before attempting to go the direction of Android. Windoze being what it is will bring with it a HUGE slug of problems and so will keep support jumping for some time to get everything going right. The picture is Einstein. I'm too ugly for a camera. I break them. I usually put up Einstein or Spurgeon... Nope, not spam. I'll be going back to my hobbit hole now. :-)

Edited by arcanemuse

I'm one of the ones who likes iOS and Android. Personally I think Android finally has it's act together...IF AND ONLY IF...you look at their Nexus line up (aka pure Google devices). The problem, arguably, with other Android devices is that they are laden with bloatware from their respective manufacturers. With a Nexus device you get Google and nothing else. The latest OS update - jelly bean - has run very smooth on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 tablet.

All of that said, I agree with the idea of improving/polishing the iOS version before jumping into the Android world. Reason being...for some reason, developers have a hard time converting/writing/developing the Android counterpart to act/look exactly like the iOS version. I'm sure if Accordance developed a Google app now it would be severely disconnected from the iOS brother. To the point of it being "unusable" by people. Unusable meaning people don't like it because it's different/missing functionality.

I've had to wait for Android versions of a few apps (I use both OS's all the time). Two apps in particular...one took almost 3 years...the other I'm still waiting on.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also interested in seeing an Accordance app for Android. I recently switched from using iOS to using Android, and I am bummed out that I can no longer walk around with Accordance in my pocket. I really hope an Android version of Accordance comes out soon. :rolleyes:

Jason: Sorry, although we are not ruling out an Android version in the future, it will take a lot of work. We still have so much to implement on the iOS app that we will not divert resources to development for Android for quite a while. So, we have not started on it and we have no plans to start on it any time soon.

• Like 1