Need an easier way to take sermon notes

William Cross

Tried using Accordance iOS today to take notes during the sermon. The interface is not effective for this. There is no easy way to quickly switch from the text being studied to the note and back to the text. Trying to keep up with sermon and read the passage and take notes is just not doable with the current interface.

I continue to use Tecartabible for this because of that one feature, but I want to use Accordance. Tecartabible allows sermon notes that are not attached to a particular verse AND a quick button to flip back and forth from note taking to text reading.

Would love to see Accoradance work this out.

Tried using Accordance iOS today to take notes during the sermon. The interface is not effective for this. There is no easy way to quickly switch from the text being studied to the note and back to the text. Trying to keep up with sermon and read the passage and take notes is just not doable with the current interface.

I continue to use Tecartabible for this because of that one feature, but I want to use Accordance. Tecartabible allows sermon notes that are not attached to a particular verse AND a quick button to flip back and forth from note taking to text reading.

Would love to see Accoradance work this out.

It's on the list, and something I'm personally interested in. One workaround that works in certain situations is to create a note for a range of verses and take notes for the entire range there.

I prefer my apps each "do what they do, and do it well". I keep notes in a note-keeping app. Accordance's note-keeping and writing abilities have never been and will never be on par with dedicated note taking apps (on a Mac or iOS). And there are numerous great note-taking iOS apps, which are available at the quick toggle of the app switcher:

http://brettterpstra.com/ios-text-editors/

Just my 2¢.

Thanks for the info Joe.

Still, I think clicking back and forth between apps is not very effective for sermon note taking. Maybe if Accordance had a button that could link directly to a note app without having to double click the Home button and then the note app every time you want to switch back and forth that would be more helpful.

I agree that Accordance's note-keeping abilities have never been on par with note apps, but that doesn't have to stay that way. I think an important part of Bible study, which Accordance is really for, is note taking and writing AS you interact and process the Word of God. I have used numerous other apps that have superior note taking abilities that are not dedicated note apps, but offer that ability to richly enhance and support their primary focus. I think a basic note-taking function is a pretty common feature in so many apps and I think with a few small improvements Accordance will have it. They already have the note-taking part down anyway. They just need to tweak the way we interact with it.

A simple four or five finger swipe will switch between apps.

That only works with a jailbroken iPhone. If there is a way to do this without a jailbreak, I'd love to hear it.

That only works with a jailbroken iPhone. If there is a way to do this without a jailbreak, I'd love to hear it.

I think Sean R. was talking about the iPad which supports multi-touch (four/five finger) gestures to switch between apps or display the task bar.

Scott.

Very cool. I don't have my iPad here at work so I couldn't test that. That's really good to know. Not sure how I've escaped knowing that trick so far. :)

I am using an iPhone (do not own an iPad) and it is not jail broke.

Ah, I didn't realize the iPhone doesn't support this. I have an iPad but no iPhone.