Page numbers in HALOT?

Rod Decker

Am I right that there are no page numbers in the HALOT module?! If, e.g., I search for ‏בֹּרִית, I'm told that this is paragraph 9103. How an I supposed to cite HALOT in an academic setting? No one cites lexica by paragraph number (unless it is a numbered text such as Louw & Nida). Yes, one could cite it with a "s.v."--but the normal convention is to use both "s.v." and page reference. (That also makes it more accessible to less proficient users.)

Or am I missing something? I'd love to be wrong and discover (again! <_< ) that I'm missing some not-so-obvious option that's already there...

I bought HALOT *only* in e-format this time instead of paper first, with e as a supplement--partly as an experiment with e-only texts--since I'd been quite pleased with BDAG, but I confess to being a bit bummed if there are no page numbers in HALOT! I can live with paragraph-only format in BDB since that isn't a complete copy of BDB and a page reference would not be meaningful. (I was also disappointed to discover some time ago that BDB is only an abridged edition, but that's another story!) I *hope* that HALOT isn't an abridged edition also... but I haven't yet compared it page for page with a colleague's paper copy, but maybe I should do that. (If it is abridged I'll be really bummed!)

As a general rule, page numbers are included if the etext OakTree received had page numbers, but they are not usually added manually by the Accordance team, as that significantly increases production costs for modules.

There are several discussions here on the topic, including:

this one

and

this one

Lorinda

The SBL Handbook of style indicates that electronic editions of works that have a corresponding print edition are cited as "n.p." (no page#). So although s.v. with a page number is the norm for reference works, the standard style for the field has made allowance for electronic texts that do not display page numbers.

See the example in section 7.3.12 for an example of a citation for ABD in an electronic format.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I believe according to most academic standards (Turabian, for example), that you would need to cite HALOT as an electronic text if you are citing the Accordance version. In that case, page numbers are not critical like they are with printed material. If you plan to cite it as if it is not an electronic version but the hard copy, then the best thing to do would be to get a hard copy and use it instead for citation purposes. However, it seems to me that most users find this frustrating when they are trying to cite an Accordance module as if it was the hard copy itself. Page numbers would be handy for quick reference, though.

EDIT: For more info, see Turabian, 7th edition, sec. 17.5.8, p. 193.

(I was also disappointed to discover some time ago that BDB is only an abridged edition, but that's another story!) I *hope* that HALOT isn't an abridged edition also... but I haven't yet compared it page for page with a colleague's paper copy, but maybe I should do that. (If it is abridged I'll be really bummed!)

Be ye not bummed--it's unabridged!

It may even be possible that Accordance's HALOT contains corrections to the text (thanks to reports by users) that may not have appeared in print editions, but Helen probably needs to weigh in definitively on that question. If this is true, that makes it even more vital that one explicitly cite the electronic edition in case there are minute differences in detail from the physical imprints.

Am I right that there are no page numbers in the HALOT module?! If, e.g., I search for ‏בֹּרִית, I'm told that this is paragraph 9103. How an I supposed to cite HALOT in an academic setting? No one cites lexica by paragraph number (unless it is a numbered text such as Louw & Nida). Yes, one could cite it with a "s.v."--but the normal convention is to use both "s.v." and page reference. (That also makes it more accessible to less proficient users.)

Or am I missing something? I'd love to be wrong and discover (again! <_< ) that I'm missing some not-so-obvious option that's already there...

I bought HALOT *only* in e-format this time instead of paper first, with e as a supplement--partly as an experiment with e-only texts--since I'd been quite pleased with BDAG, but I confess to being a bit bummed if there are no page numbers in HALOT! I can live with paragraph-only format in BDB since that isn't a complete copy of BDB and a page reference would not be meaningful. (I was also disappointed to discover some time ago that BDB is only an abridged edition, but that's another story!) I *hope* that HALOT isn't an abridged edition also... but I haven't yet compared it page for page with a colleague's paper copy, but maybe I should do that. (If it is abridged I'll be really bummed!)

The big question is, what citation format are you using? Turabian does not require page numbers last time I checked (see second link in Lorinda's reply). In your bibliography you may want to include the fact that it is our electronic edition, but for footnotes I don't see it as necessary (at least for Turabian).

Archived