searching ἄμμος in LXX1

johnburnett

I am searching for ἅμμος in LXX1. One of the search results is Josh 10.4, ὥσπερ ἡ ἄμμος τῆς θαλάσσης. Great!

But parallel to this verse, BHS-T, KJVS, ESVS, VULG-T and even NETS and NETS2 and probably all others, I find Josh 11.2, whereas the verse actually corresponds to Josh 11.4 in MT-based bibles.

Is this a corrigendum, or is there something i don't know about searching LXX?

Btw there also seemed to be some monkey business with the verse-numbering disasters between Samuel and Kings, but i don't have time to analyze my confusion right now. Please advise about the ἅμμος parallel-mapping issue, though!

Hey John,

Something's odd. I tried your search in LXX1 and got Josh 11:4 not 10:4. I also checked the Brenton, KJVS, ESVS and sand appears in 11:4 there also and my parallels lined up ok. Any chance you could post an image of your workspace when its messed up like this ?

In case it matters I'm using version 5.0 of the LXX1 which I think is the most up to date.

Thx

D

Hey John,

On Mac : use the Grab tool and select capture window and then grab an image of the workspace window. It will grab to TIFF which is a pain. Use the Preview and load the TIFF and export to JPEG. It will save space and it works better in the forum.

On windows : use the Snippet tool. Again you can do a window snap and save this to a JPEG file.

Then to post it in your reply use the More Reply Options button beneath the reply text box and you will see options to Attach Files. Browse for the file you saved. Click Attach file once the file selection appears next to the Browse button. Then submit the post.

thx

D

ah, ok. 'more reply options'. somehow overlooked it.

thanks for the reply.

I'm posting two screen shots, notice the incorrect correspondence between Js 10.21 LXX1 / Js 11.20 ESV, where i was searching πολις <and> ορος in one, and between 10.4 and 11.2, where i was searching αμμος in the other.

i don't know that these will tell you any more than i said, but here they are.

post-32452-0-77259800-1385719760_thumb.jpg

post-32452-0-34174700-1385719765_thumb.jpg

We just updated the LXX1 to version 5.0. Please check About this Text, and use your Check for Content Updates if needed. I cannot reproduce your error as the texts align correctly for me.

well that was fun. i checked and no fewer than 25 modules needed updating. I'd have thought the automatic update feature would have detected those!

anyway, that seems to have fixed it, thanks.

Automatic updates are only for the program itself. It is wise to check for content updates and even Easy Install periodically (the latter because we occasionally add an item to a package).