Ideas for Decide Which New Modules to Create

Joshua French

It seems to me that Accordance is the perfect balance of cutting edge original language capability and Biblical resources (like commentaries, atlases, dictionaries, etc).

One thing I have wondered about since I have started following Accordance is how you decide which new modules to create. Obviously we have this forum to share our ideas, but it seems like there is no formal analysis done to gauge the interest of your users.

Have you ever considered doing something like this?

Say that there is interest for both the BECNT and the NIVAC (which there is). If more formal analysis were done (like a survey or poll), you might find that the BECNT has a much greater interest than the NIVAC. This could help you to decide which project to pursue sooner. Also, many publishing and software companies it seems will take pre-orders on certain products. Usually, money is not taken out of a person

Yes we have considered this option (as we have most ideas over the past 16 years ;)). We have not adopted it for a number of reasons:

1. This idea might be appropriate if we were embarking on large e-texting projects of public domain works, but that is not our focus.
  2. Contracts with publishers can take years to finalize. Once we have a contract we are obliged to complete the project. Until we have a contract we are not in a position to advertise it.
  3. Sadly, despite our best efforts, some publishers do not seem to want to work with us, so what we can offer is necessarily limited to what we can obtain.
  4. We prefer not to announce our publishing plans way ahead of the release. We want to avoid "vaporware."
  5. We are not comfortable with requesting commitments to buy a product long before the release. The user may change his mind or no longer be in a position to buy the product when it does come out.

I hope this helps to explain why we have not adopted this method of polling our users. This forum is a good place to suggest a module and gauge the response.

Makes sense to me. You (obviously) know all the ins and outs of the development process which you must take into account when deciding how to do these sorts of things. Thanks for the info!

• 2 months later...

do you have a list available that you would be able to say which works you do have a contract for / which modules you are currently making? thanks

Archived