TLOT vs NIDOTTE

Gedalya

Theological lexicon of the OT vs New international dictionary of OT theology and exegesis NIDOTTE (sorry for the spelling errors in the headline)

What are the pluses and minuses of each of these dictionaries/lexicons? Which one would you recommend? Is one more up to date than the other? Which would you recommend for the layperson in terms of understandability for the non scholar? Do they cover the same material? Which one do you think is more comprehensive?

Any other thoughts on these two modules?

Edited by Helen Brown
Fixed title

Both are what i would consider technical theological dictionaries. I wrote a review of the the NIDOTTE here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=NIDOTTE#review_results that explains that resource in more detail.

TLOT is a very good theological lexicon that has more depth than breadth. By that I mean there are fewer Hebrew terms discussed, but they are discussed at length. If you have other lexicons to provide greater cover, then the TLOT is a good supplemental resource. It does not have many of the great introductory articles the NIDOTTE has. Personally I prefer NIDOTTE, but others may offer differing views.

I am a lay person, but have spent many years studying the biblical texts as well as using bible software. You cannot go wrong with either resource as a supplement to a more traditional lexicon such as HALOT or one of the Concise Hebrew Lexicons.

I have attached a screenshot that shows comparative TOC and introduction to the same entry. Hope this helps.

post-1391-0-98052500-1419437037_thumb.png

Edited by John Fidel
  • Like 1

TLOT can be a very complimentary work.. I remember that it was once pointed out in a review that the TLOT covered many words not handled elsewhere. I own both and find both useful. Although to be fully honest many times I don't go to much beyond TWOT.

-Dan