Mellel Question

R. Mansfield

I know I could ask this in the Mellel forums, I know folks here a lot better!

In my dissertation, I've opted to use the Accordance font Helena for my Greek text. Even though it is not unicode, it is much nicer looking (in my opinion) than any Greek unicode font I've seen so far.

So yesterday, I referred to the Greek word πόλεμος, and because it was at the end of the line, Mellel kept splitting it into two separate words πό and λεμος. This is because Mellel simply sees it as po/lemo

I don't have an answer but would add that mellel collapses the word sophia using the Teknia Greek font. Its weird. I know this isn't an answer, but is a similar problem. I have chosen Teknia Greek font for similar reasons as well.

I know I could ask this in the Mellel forums, I know folks here a lot better!

In my dissertation, I've opted to use the Accordance font Helena for my Greek text. Even though it is not unicode, it is much nicer looking (in my opinion) than any Greek unicode font I've seen so far.

So yesterday, I referred to the Greek word πόλεμος, and because it was at the end of the line, Mellel kept splitting it into two separate words πό and λεμος. This is because Mellel simply sees it as po/lemo

Barring an easier solution in Mellel, there's always the Chicago Manual of Style-type recommendation to rewrite/reformat the sentence so that the word in question is no longer near a line break! (For what it's worth, Word 2004 and 2008 do not break words with slashes in them).

Helena is a very nice typeface, but if you need Unicode, Linguist's Software's SymbolGreekU is the typeface that NA27 is printed in (they also have the UBS edition typeface).

Martin, I tried adding the word to the hyphenation list, but it still breaks it at the forward slash.

JP, yes, one solution is certainly to change a sentence around, but the nature of this beast is that I might make other changes in the future that push it to the end of a line again.

I'll just have to watch for such things carefully as I can't find a good solution yet.

Martin, I tried adding the word to the hyphenation list, but it still breaks it at the forward slash.

Sorry, I didn't realise that the word included a non-alphabetic character. The perils of not using Unicode!

One other thing you might try which I just tested on an English word which included a soft hyphen was to place a zero-width non-breaking space before the character immediately following the hyphen. This can be inserted by going to the Insert menu, selecting "Special Characters" then "Space" and then the "Zero width no-break space."

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, I didn't realise that the word included a non-alphabetic character. The perils of not using Unicode!

True. I realize that Cardo's kind of funky looking, but there are so many different Unicode Greek fonts that it's hard to believe there aren't any which suit you. My my new favorite is the Greek set of the new OpenType Times New Roman that comes with office 2008. Alkaios is another attractive Unicode font which, IMO, is almost indistinguishable from Helena. Here's the URL: http://www.lucius-hartmann.ch/diverse/greekfonts/.

True. I realize that Cardo's kind of funky looking, but there are so many different Unicode Greek fonts that it's hard to believe there aren't any which suit you. My my new favorite is the Greek set of the new OpenType Times New Roman that comes with office 2008. Alkaios is another attractive Unicode font which, IMO, is almost indistinguishable from Helena. Here's the URL: http://www.lucius-hartmann.ch/diverse/greekfonts/.

P.S. The advantage of Alkaios over SymbolGreek is the price: $0 vs. $99.

There are a few more Unicode Greek fonts that work with Mellel and are free.

One is Gentium, or GentiumAlt (they differ in the circumflex accent)

Another it Times (not TimesNewRoman) that is installed in the later version of MacOS. It includes polytonic Greek.

Marco

Archived