Word Biblical Commentary

Helen Brown

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

If you have used this commentary in print and/or in Accordance, please review it for others' benefit, and give the module an overall rating in the top right corner by Rate Topic.

WBC has a special place in my heart in that it was the first serious commentary set that I purchased. The commentaries use a format that is consistent throughout all volumes: an extensive bibliography, the authors translation, notes, form/structure, comment and explanation. I personally like the format, but some people do not. The format may be consistent, but the set is not nearly as even. The good news is that there are some very excellent volumes such as Genesis and the volumes on the Prophets in the OT, Galatians and the Pastorals in the NT. The best volumes rival the New International Commentary, however as a set it is not as even.

The volumes are also theologically mixed ranging from evangelical to moderate with a few I would classify as liberal.

This is a great opportunity to add one of the best technical, but still accessible, commentary sets to your Accordance library for a great price. Dollar for dollar, probably the best value in this sale for what you get.

• 2 months later...

WBC has a special place in my heart in that it was the first serious commentary set that I purchased. The commentaries use a format that is consistent throughout all volumes: an extensive bibliography, the authors translation, notes, form/structure, comment and explanation. I personally like the format, but some people do not. The format may be consistent, but the set is not nearly as even. The good news is that there are some very excellent volumes such as Genesis and the volumes on the Prophets in the OT, Galatians and the Pastorals in the NT. The best volumes rival the New International Commentary, however as a set it is not as even.

The volumes are also theologically mixed ranging from evangelical to moderate with a few I would classify as liberal.

This is a great opportunity to add one of the best technical, but still accessible, commentary sets to your Accordance library for a great price. Dollar for dollar, probably the best value in this sale for what you get.

Would you mind posting which volumes you would classify as "moderate" and/or "liberal"? As a moderate/liberal, I'd be interested in knowing. Thanks!

Can anyone comment on the usability of the WBC in accordance? I have not used these commentaries but have read that the format requires one to flip back and forth between pages in order to see all the material for a given passage. This sounds manageable in a print version but somewhat painful in an electronic version.

I use WBC a lot. Like any commentary set, you need to get a feel for the way the volumes are set up. Once you have that, WBC is easy to use. Often I open WBC in the same window as the passage I'm working on and then open it again in a different zone. This allows me to see two place in the same commentary at once.

Rich+

Often I open WBC in the same window as the passage I'm working on and then open it again in a different zone. This allows me to see two place in the same commentary at once.

Rich+

That's a good idea. I'll have to keep it in mind.

That's a good idea. I'll have to keep it in mind.

I am in the process of completing a podcast on the advantages of digital Bible study resources. One of the biggest advantages is that multiple instances of ANY resource can be opened in Accordance: commentaries, Bibles, Bible dictionaries, etc. In addition, searches display all the hits, even when they are in non-contiguous pages. It's a HUGE timesaver.

I remember [back in the Dark Ages] working through an index in a book, one finger in the index, another five or six between as many different pages in the book as the index listed. Unfortunately, I was already out of fingers when it came time to type up my discoveries!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use WBC a lot. Like any commentary set, you need to get a feel for the way the volumes are set up. Once you have that, WBC is easy to use. Often I open WBC in the same window as the passage I'm working on and then open it again in a different zone. This allows me to see two place in the same commentary at once.

Rich+

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using the WBC for about a month now and and still think that splitting the material into different sections makes the commentary a little more difficult to use. However, I think it's worth the trouble to have the dedicated Explanation section, which seems to help the authors better address "big picture" themes and theological issues. All said, I've been enjoying this set and definitely recommend it.

Jonathan

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I would like to know does the Word Bible Commentary in Accordance indicates where the pages change. If I write paper and reference to WBC, can I find the page number through WBC Accordance?

Joel

Yes, here is a sample citation.

For the first time Paul gives a label to those who disagree with “the weak”: they are “the strong.”

James D. G. Dunn, Romans 9–16 (WBC 38B; Accordance/Thomas Nelson electronic ed. Dallas: Word Books, 1988), 841.

I just recently used this commentary in book form for a Genesis class. You are right Jfidel, it is very thorough and accurate. I like the format a lot. The bibliographies are somewhat in the way, but I am not sure if this is the same in the online books. Jfidel, your are also right in your comments of more "liberal or moderate" books. As in every commentary series, unfortunately, there are volumes that may not be in line with our Biblical discernment of the text. Of course, it takes our own discernment in relying on these deficiencies when doing our own research. There are some very good volumes as you stated, and some very good ones from other commentary series that will trump the WBC's. However, I enjoyed the format when studying and writing papers. And, I am happy to see that the citations include page numbers, this helps also. Just a reminder, Accordances new nuance of ordering individual commentaries can negate the problem of deficient volumes when studying from different books of the Bible. A wide range of commentaries is thus a cure for buying individual volumes. ;)

• 10 months later...

I recently bought the WBC-OT+NT sets. Great commentary set. Note though that the Accordance version is missing two of the 3 Job volumes (released in 2006 and 2011). Unfortunately, those two volumes were two of the specific ones I was hoping to use for a course. It may be my fault for not checking to make sure they were included before spending the money but make sure the volumes you need are included (even if they have been released).

I recently bought the WBC-OT+NT sets. Great commentary set. Note though that the Accordance version is missing two of the 3 Job volumes (released in 2006 and 2011). Unfortunately, those two volumes were two of the specific ones I was hoping to use for a course. It may be my fault for not checking to make sure they were included before spending the money but make sure the volumes you need are included (even if they have been released).

We are currently working on getting the updated volumes and plan to work on them and release later this year. I can't give any estimates on when they will be available, but it is something we are working on.

Thanks for the update. I wasn't complaining as much as warning other's to make sure they confirm things before purchasing. Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

We are currently working on getting the updated volumes and plan to work on them and release later this year. I can't give any estimates on when they will be available, but it is something we are working on.

Does this apply to other missing volumes like Judges and Acts as well?

Does this apply to other missing volumes like Judges and Acts as well?

It applies to any published volumes (Acts has not been published yet that I can see).

Rick,

I purchased both sets a couple of years back. Did that purchase also include any future volumes that were not released? Or are any new volumes not included at time of purchase an additional cost per volume?

Blessings,

Mike Ross

The new volumes will be an additional (to be determined) price.

Good to hear other volumes are in the works...this is what I had subtly asked on the blog.

So just curious...once Acts comes out in print will there be a gap before the publisher allows electronic editions?

Edited by Mark Nigro

Good to hear other volumes are in the works...this is what I had subtly asked on the blog.

So just curious...once Acts comes out in print will there be a gap before the publisher allows electronic editions?

I don't know how long of a gap there may be in this case.

How about the final volume on Job? It has been out in print for about a year.

Any of the volumes in print, but not yet in our collection, are the ones we are working on getting.

Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 37a: Acts 1–14 by Stephen Walton Thomas Nelson 2011

Word Biblical Commentary, vol. 37a: Acts 1–14 by Stephen Walton Thomas Nelson 2011

Yes, I saw that in a couple places as well, but it is not on Thomas Nelson's site, nor anywhere else to actually purchase.

Rest assured, we are in direct communication with the publisher and will continue to work on getting the additional volumes as they are made available to us.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did get the info from another softwares website, since they were offering it for sale I assumed it was out. I see it is under what they call pre pub, but i had guessed since it was labeled as published in 2011 it was out.

-Dan