Original Language Dictionaries quick access

Daniel  Francis

When using Olivetree's Bible reader it is very nice to get the option to open in your various greek/hebrew dictionary to the related entry. Now Accordance is where I have my larger dictionaries and was hoping that a feature like this might be implemented. Also perhaps it is and I have somehow missed how to do it. Is this feature something we might see in the near future and or is it already there and I have missed it? I have no plans to duplicate my multivolume lexicons in Olivetree but I would love this feature to make it to Accordance iOS to make it a more powerful little app.

-Dan

• Like 1

Not sure I understand the question because the answer seems too simple. When you touch the screen in IOS on any word in the text you are reading, you will have a menu with options to search any resource that you have on your device.From there you can go to any of your dictionaries or commentaries etc. It will take you directly to that entry in whatever resource you open.

post-29263-0-73754100-1374440271_thumb.jpg

As you see I can go from the basic definition to looking it up in any dictionary immediately. I would love to go from basic look up in Accordance directly to the NIDOTTE or Jenni-Westermann or TWOT entry. I realize that I can easily copy the hebrew word and open one the dictionaries.. but as you can see from the screenshot it is quicker in OT.

-Dan

Edited by DWFrancis

That's an interesting system, but I am not sure it is for me.

If you work directly with the Greek/Hebrew text, you can see the topmost dictionary entry immediately in Instant Details. If you have more than one dictionary, move the one you want to see most often to the top of the list.I think most of our users prefer than immediate access to a list of choices. [i certainly do.] To see other dictionaries, click "amplify"> the word, then simply switch the resource to any other dictionary you want.

As far as key numbers go, I'd recommend purchasing the Mounce Expository Dictionary [http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Mounce+Expository]. It's the next step up from the Mounce and Mounce/Kohlenberger dictionaries included in our Starter Collection [They replaced the older Strong's Greek and Hebrew dictionaries—and a far more useful.]. It's also very well integrated with the latter. Interestingly enough, I usually find this enough for my mobile needs.

There are other resources tagged with key numbers. If you prefer, you can switch one of them directly from the Mounce and M/K dictionaries. [Again, I think I prefer the immediate access to a single resource. It saves me a click.]

There are other resources tagged with key numbers. If you prefer, you can switch one of them directly from the Mounce and M/K dictionaries. [Again, I think I prefer the immediate access to a single resource. It saves me a click.]

post-29263-0-69202600-1374459165_thumb.jpg

I do own it but from the lookup screen I can;t figure it how to expand it. I was guessing hitting Mounce next to the finger would take me there but nothing happens.

It's not as easy to consult other lexicons as it is on the desktop, but it's very doable:

If you amplify an original word and choose lemma, it opens your top lexicon, and searches for that word. To find the word in another lexicon tap the search icon in the first lexicon and change the search module there. It will work as long as the field and search are compatible. I have no problems going from BDAG to TDNT, for example.

If you amplify from a key number so that it is your search criterion, you can then amplify from the original word in the key dictionary.

• Like 1

I have noticed that amplifying from a key number to Mounce or Mounce/Kohlenberger is very easy. Accordance will enter the key number, say 3564, into the search field and locate the corrected article very easily. However, Accordance currently does not place the language letter identifier (G or H) in front the of the key number. Users will have to enter that letter manually (e.g. G3564) before switching to another resource. Make sure the field is correct too, in this case, key number.

This is probably something we should address in a future rev.

This is really asking for something like the Mac equivalent of opt-amplify from a Key Number text (which does a lookup based on the underlying Greek/Hebrew lemma, not the Key Number). I have asked about this before, too, and was told that it isn't quite as simple to implement.

If I'm working in a Key Number text (NIV11-GK is my default), I amplify by Key Number to Mounce/KM, then touch on the lemma in that entry and amplify. If you want to switch between lexicons from there just use the search function and change the tool being searched. Not as smooth as it could be, no doubt. As Tim said, we can discuss this for a future rev.

I guess on my iPad I will stick with Olivetree to do more in depth study on a word… Although to be perfectly honest little kittle to TWOT are usually enough for my needs anyway in mobile study.

-Dan

There are alot of apps that do quite well for english bible texts, but Accordance is the best when working with the Greek or Hebrew texts. For someone who reads these languages no other app comes close, and if you are learning either of these languages, the ease of simply tapping an unknown word in the text, makes it possible for even beginners to move through large passages more quickly than ever before. Which is by far the best way in my opinion to make the labor of learning both grammar and vocabulary so rewarding. God Bless