Copy/Pasting Hebrew Font in Microsoft Word

Alex H

Hi,

Before I updated the Accordance software to 9.0.4, I was able to copy and paste the Hebrew font (Yehudit) onto Microsoft Word (Mac 2008) with relative ease.

Now the fonts are coming off weird, having barely any semblance to the actual Hebrew text.

Currently, I'm highlighting the text, clicking "Print", then going to "Print Preview" and copying the text from that page to Microsoft Word.

I was wondering if there is a solution so that I can go back to copying and pasting Yehudit directly to Microsoft Word (Mac 2008) without the Hebrew text being misaligned and different? Thank you!

Are your preference settings for copying the font set correctly? Choose Preferences... and the Greek & Hebrew settings. Then make certain that you have NOT checked the box to Export All Characters in Unicode Format. Then make sure that the Hebrew Format settings are set to export the Yehudit font.

Best regards,

Ron

I am having the exact same problem as Alex. I had 9.0.4 and I could copy and paste in microsoft word no problem. I just made the update to 9.0.5 and yehudit will not copy over into word. I also have Office 2008 for mac. I've made sure that the preferences in Accordance are correct (they're the same as before), but this still did not help.

I'm not having this error. Yehudit Hebrew is pasting from Accordance 9.05 to Word 2008 just fine for me.

Is this something that running Font Fixer might help?

Glad things are working well for you now. Really, the best option for working with Hebrew and Greek is to choose the preference to Export to Unicode. However current versions of MS WORD (or even the new release of MS WORD 2011) do not support right-to-left languages. If you use Mellel as your word processor, the typographic spacing is superior and incorporation of right-to-left languages like Hebrew is unexcelled.

Best regards,

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

I can't paste Hebrew into Word or Pages in non-unicode, non-RTL format. Several lines will be fine, and suddenly a section of a line will be in reverse order, then it will switch back. It's really disconcerting when I'm trying to set up text with indenting from the left margin to illustrate the clause syntax.

Geeze that sounded so geeky, but then, that's what we do, isn't it!

• 2 years later...

I'm still having problems with this reverse pasting in Microsoft Word (2011), despite using the unicode option in Accordance 10.3.1. What am I doing wrong?

HI Dustin,

you're not doing anything wrong. It's a limitation of Word on Mac. It chokes on rtl text.

If you are serious about doing rtl work you really need Mellel (my personal favourite) or Nisus Writer Pro. Bot of which hnad RTL perfectly. Word on Windows supports RTL, but not Word on Mac. (Who knows what Office 2014 Mac will bring...)

Honestly, get Mellel (and it's very cheap). It's a bit different to Word, so there's a learning curve but it is far superior for language work (and it exports in Word, PDF and RTF formats).

Edited by Ken Simpson

• 1 month later...

I rarely use Word, in part because I find it distracting and there are better options available. But sometimes I have to use it.

So I installed Windows 7 on Parallels, which runs, and installed Office for 2010 Windows on Parallels. So far so good. Enabled Hebrew on Windows.

Copy & paste worked once, to my annoyance not again, because the paste options are not displayed in Office 2010. I can only copy plain text without formatting. This appears to be a bug under Windows. The common advice is to disable "click skype for call" to retrieve the lost paste options. However, I do not have Skype installed, so this advice does not work for me. Anyone else with an idea?