Printing ESV Study Bible Selection

David Foster

I'm trying to print the introduction to the gospel of John from the ESV study bible. I've tried everything, all the old tricks, but can't seem to simply highlight the intro. and click print selection... any ideas?

Not sure what you are experiencing. If I select the passage, I am able to Print Selection and it looks exactly right. What are you unable to do?

Not sure what you are experiencing. If I select the passage, I am able to Print Selection and it looks exactly right. What are you unable to do?

Thanks for your help. I'm trying to select the intro notes including graphs. I've highlighted from the very top "John" all the way down to just before the commentary starts... but no luck. And if you highlight everything, do the maps and charts come up because as highlighted they're simply thumbnails...?

The charts and other pictures won't print as they are just thumbnails, so perhaps this is what is throwing you off. The text and tables should print just fine, though.

The charts and other pictures won't print as they are just thumbnails, so perhaps this is what is throwing you off. The text and tables should print just fine, though.

Something really strange is happening... when I highlight and right click selecting 'Print Selection' and then preview I get a passage from a commentary on Genesis 31??? I just selected a small section from the Into to try and print it... I've attached a screen shot and the commentary that pops up.

Screen Shot of Intro to John.tiff

Print selection from same place in Intro to John.pdf

Ah hah, you did find a bug! Thanks for the screenshot. You should be able to print correctly if you either open the ESV Study Bible as a separate tool, rather than a pane, or you can print it by going to Print Options (Command-Option-P) and turning off 'Print All Panes'. Either one should work around the bug, and we'll try to get this fixed for 9.4.1. Thanks for your report.

Ah hah, you did find a bug! Thanks for the screenshot. You should be able to print correctly if you either open the ESV Study Bible as a separate tool, rather than a pane, or you can print it by going to Print Options (Command-Option-P) and turning off 'Print All Panes'. Either one should work around the bug, and we'll try to get this fixed for 9.4.1. Thanks for your report.

Thanks... that's good news- I was beginning to wonder. And sorry, for the charts/graphs/maps, do you have to go back and enlarge each one separately and then print them? In print settings, under options, you can click on "scale graphics to page"... is this what could possible incorporate the graphics into the print job? Sorry... I'm not near a printer, otherwise I'd just try and print them.

Scale Graphics to Page is just for when printing a map or picture document, automatically scale it to fill the printed page. Up until recently, we only had small thumbnail display of the pictures in the tool, so printing the thumbnails didn't make a lot of sense. Since we are now displaying them bigger, perhaps we should reconsider this. For now, though, its not possible. If you really want them inline with the text, I think you'd have to do that yourself.

Scale Graphics to Page is just for when printing a map or picture document, automatically scale it to fill the printed page. Up until recently, we only had small thumbnail display of the pictures in the tool, so printing the thumbnails didn't make a lot of sense. Since we are now displaying them bigger, perhaps we should reconsider this. For now, though, its not possible. If you really want them inline with the text, I think you'd have to do that yourself.

Thanks for all your help today... I'm off to print.

Thanks for all your help today... I'm off to print.

Joel, I've clicked on 'scale to print' and tried printing from the enlarged thumbnail... all that prints is the thumbnail. Even if I try and inscrease the percentage scale in page setup to 200% it still comes out as a thumbnail. So I've had to save as a jpeg and paste into pages... far more time consuming. Any more tips... am I missing something else?

If you want to print the article with pictures, I would copy the text into Pages or a DTP program, and then copy and paste each image into place, at the size you want it. It may take time, but you will get the result you want.

If you want to print the article with pictures, I would copy the text into Pages or a DTP program, and then copy and paste each image into place, at the size you want it. It may take time, but you will get the result you want.

I've already done that... it worked well. But I thought you were supposed to be able to print the expanded image and have it printed to fit... that's the problem right now... the 'scale to fit' feature under options doesn't seem to be working...

Archived