Accordance Crashing Often on Mavericks Mac

Dr. Nathan Parker

I have Accordance 10.4.2 running on a clean install of a MacBook Pro running Mavericks, and it's still crashing fairly often. Can I email in some crash reports to the developers to have a look?

Thanks!

Figured this out, and I will call the support staff back tomorrow and update them. Seems Accordance crashes when I have Dropbox syncing set to automatic. When I set it to manual on both my Mavericks and even my Yosemite Macs, Accordance is running far more stable.

So something about automatic Dropbox syncing right now throws Accordance off on both of my Macs.

At least with manual syncing it works OK though, so I'm happy.

Thanks!

Hi Nathan,

It was great speaking with you. You have 10.4.3.2 on both the Yosemite and Mavericks Macs. Thanks for working with us in trying to diagnose this issue. You are going to pull the User Notes, User Tools and Highlights files folders and test the automatic sync with Dropbox without these files and then systematically add them back to see if you can find a corrupt file.

Please let us know what you find out.

Thanks,

Billy

Hi Nathan,

We got your voicemail. We were glad to hear that you tracked it down to a user tool. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Best wishes,

Billy

Hi Billy,

I am sending you an email now with some attachments to check out. I've narrowed it down to some User Tools that begin with "M" that I downloaded from the Exchange, but I'm having trouble figuring out which one(s) is/are the culprit. I tried dragging them over one by one, and it's crashing with quite a bit of them. So I've zipped up the file and am emailing it in to see if you might be able to tell.

Thanks!

I'm seeing frequent crashes on Mavericks, too. I also have Dropbox sync set to automatic.

I have 2 User Tools from the Exchange that begin with "M":

Messenger's Hymns first 3 Centu

Metrical Psalter Preface etc 2

The latter did not have an .acc7 extension; I noticed several other User Tools in Dropbox/Apps/Accordance/User Tools do not have the extension. I added it to the Metrical Psalter User Tool in Finder. Should I do the same with remaining ones?

Update: I found that Accordance did not like it when I changed the extension on Metrical Psalter within the Dropbox folder. So I:

Removed the User Tool from my library (keeping the .acc7 extension)

Moved the file out of the Dropbox/Accordance/Apps/User Tool folder onto the desktop

Added the file back into my library from within Accordance

That seems to work so far.

• 2 weeks later...

I need to hear from the Support Teams what they've discovered on this one. For now, I'm keeping my "M" User Tools out of Dropbox until I get the green light on which ones to put back.

Accordance crashes QUITE frequently on my MacBook Air running Mavericks. It crashes often when I launch it. I crashes EVERYTIME I try to search my library - as soon as I type a since character in the search window - the instant I touch of my the keys on my keyboard the app crashes.

I love Accordance and have used it for years and hope to keep using it for many years to come, but it has become so unreliable (unstable) for me as of late, and now I can't even search my library…I'm becoming very frustrated with an application I other wise love very much!

Edited by Moondougie

I think you need to upgrade to the latest 10.4.3.2. There was a bug that caused the Library search to crash but we released a fix for that within a day or so.

Edited by davidmedina

Thanks Helen, updating now.

David, my intent was just to 1) voice my frustration with a program that is one of my favorites but which is currently giving me frequent headaches 2) find a possible solution so that my frustration can be dealt with and I can go back happier times with Accordance. You are correct that the cause of the problem might not reside in Accordance, but I can tell you that it is the only app which is giving me any problems. Accordance rarely, if ever, gave me any problems before Mavericks. I have not installed any new fonts in, maybe a millennia, it's entirely possible that the issue could lie elsewhere, or at least with something interacting with Accordance.

My apologies if you thought I was claiming Accordance was the Antichrist or something. It was not my intent. I was looking for some suggestions, possibilities for a fix, and I'm hoping Helen's suggestion is the ticket!

UPDATE: updating to 10.4.3.2 fixed the crashing when I search problem - I'll update again when I see if it had an effect on the other crashing problem I have been experiencing.

THANKS!!

Edited by Moondougie

@Moondougie If you continue to have issues, check to see if you're syncing some Exchange Modules over Dropbox. Accordance was very "unstable" for me for a while, but after I begun to narrow down the culprit, it's singing beautifully now, even pretty reliable on Yosemite.

By the way, does Support have an update on which M module is causing the issue? I have all my M modules isolated in Dropbox until I hear from Support what to do next.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

We got this resolved. Billy found the toxic module (Metrical Psalter), and there's already an updated version of it on the Exchange he sent me.

By the way, thank you Billy and the Accordance Support Team for all your hard work at getting this resolved! I appreciate how hard Billy and the Accordance Support Team worked to get this resolved for me!