Timeline

Paul Meiklejohn

Accordance is a truly exceptional study tool and every new version has brought a whole new and exciting layer of user experience.

I have previously noted that one of the few modules that has lacked any serious development is the Timeline module. I have been using Accordance for nearly eight years and cannot remember any significant changes made to it in that time. When it was first introduced it must have been an exciting addition to the graphics package. In my opinion it now seems rather dated and limited in its use. I would love to see something a bit more interactive and dynamic. Similarly, I would like to see the timeline dates move much further towards the present day to see how the church and theology has developed beyond biblical times.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Similarly, I would like to see the timeline dates move much further towards the present day to see how the church and theology has developed beyond biblical times.

+1

I keep looking for an update, a Dr J podcast, and a Free Training session.

Since there are always new discoveries in archaeology, some of the old categories just don't mesh.

Since Accordance is Bible software, the history of canonicity and the dating of individual writings (indeed writing, writing systems) could be better displayed in the timeline.

• Like 1

++1

I thoroughly agree that this would be an excellent update!!

• Like 1

1+

I agree the Timeline hasn't received a lot of love lately. Yes, it would be nice to see an update, but as always, the question is "Is it more important than ______?" (insert your feature of choice). Nevertheless, I've been hoping for an update before I do a podcast dedicated to it.

Meanwhile, there is a [very] old podcast (#15) on the Graphics Bundle here. It includes information on the Timeline. The podcast was released on Dec. 16, 2009, the very first year of Lighting the Lamp. If you do decide to watch it, you'll see just how much better the current podcasts are over these first ones.

Enjoy!

Dr J. I always appreciate it when you reply.

The problem that your question poses is that things could go on ad infinitum: version 11 can't be far away, the team must have an endless supply of text editing, iOS and Windows have all taken their rightful place, I'm sure the list goes on. I believe that Timeline 2 could be a truly exceptional tool linking many of the historical books together and giving a much richer view of church history. Anyway I can only but dream, hope and pray that the opportunity is not lost in the plethora of other demands.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Thanks, Paul. I agree with you.