Info Regarding Individual Authors of Commentaries

sobertruth

Hi All,

I hope I've posted this in the right forum. As my Accordance commentary modules outgrows my physical library of commentaries, I am using paper books less and less. One thing that would be great would be able to compile a listing of all the individual authors for the commentaries modules. Some of these are available on the Accordance site: Word, Tyndale, etc. But for some of the modules I have been unable to find the information regarding individual authors of commentaries except by opening each volume in the module, e.g. Genesis in EBC. I was wondering if some of the forum folks (not Accordance staff) would be interested in contributing in a topic or thread to compiling a listing of authors (and possibly a biographical snippet) for some of the modules. This could then be cut and pasted into a text file or a user tool. For example, it would be great to have a user tool with a listing of the canon and under each book an author listing with a link to a particular commentary. As more and more commentaries become available, this could make the huge library of Accordance modules more accessible. Others may not think this as being very valuable, but I would benefit greatly from having one source to look at when working on sermons, etc. For example, when working on a lesson plan for Mark, to be able to quickly scan each of the authors and a brief biographical snippet for each of the commentaries I have in my library. Since people have different commentary sets, folks could volunteer to do one module (EBC, NIBC, PNTC, etc) in each thread post. Some of the information could probably be gotten off the Internet and linked or copied and pasted (while observing proper copyright restrictions of course). I would think it beneficial to eventually have the author listing for the individuals authors of the commentaries of the study Bibles as well.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, or I am overlooking a resource where this has been done.

Here is a partial example of what I am suggesting:

NIBC-New International Biblical Commentary on the New Testament

Matthew, Robert Mounce is President Emeritus of Whitworth College.

Mark, Larry W. Hurtado is Professor of New Testament Language and Literature and Director of the University of Edinburgh Centre for the Study of Christian Origins.

Luke, Craig A. Evans is Payzant Distinguished Professor of New Testament at Acadia Divinity College, Wolfville, Nova Scotia, Canada.

John, J. Ramsey Michaels is former Professor of Religious Studies at Southwest Missouri State University.

Acts, David J. Williams served as Vice Principal of Ridley College, University of Melbourne.

etc.

As more and more modules are added to the thread, folks could simply copy and paste the module's author listing they own into a user tool and create links or whatever.

Anyone interested?

I have a user tool called my "Accordance Bibliography" that helps me find resources and in that I sometimes add in Author Bios (esp when I don't know who they are or what presuppositions they bring to the table) for individual modules...

I would VERY much like to collaborate with you in this effort and share our work. I tried this previously and didn't get too much interest. Hopefully more will jump in now.

I have a user tool called my "Accordance Bibliography" that helps me find resources and in that I sometimes add in Author Bios (esp when I don't know who they are or what presuppositions they bring to the table) for individual modules...

I would VERY much like to collaborate with you in this effort and share our work. I tried this previously and didn't get too much interest. Hopefully more will jump in now.

Mike,

Thanks for the reply. You brought up an excellent point that would make such a bibliography even more valuable--the addition of information regarding the presuppositions/theological orientation of individual authors. I am also very willing to share our work on a project such as this, even if interest is minimal, since I think the time investment will be well worth the time saved in the future when it comes to sermon, class preparation, etc.

Blessings,

• 3 months later...

I don't have much in the way of commentaries, but I would like to contribute, as well. I can work on the reference works I have, and would also be willing to work on some of the Accordance modules I don't have, using info from the website. What things have y'all already done?

Thanks!

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Tony,

A couple of us have talked about this via email, but I haven't had time to follow up due to pastoral responsibilities. I'm still interested in the project whenever my schedule eases up.

• 5 months later...

Is this still going along?

Tony,

A couple of us have talked about this via email, but I haven't had time to follow up due to pastoral responsibilities. I'm still interested in the project whenever my schedule eases up.

Archived