Finding γάρ

paulworden

Can you think of an argument in Accordance that will let me search to if γάρ is found at the end of any other verses/sentences in the NT/Bible/Mark? (Mark 16:8)

If you are looking for the exact location as that in Mark 16:8, you don't need a syntax search (defined technically as Accordance defines a 'syntax search'). You can use the field to specify that you are looking for the word to occur at the end of a clause with this: gar <WITHIN 1 Words> [Field End]

• Like 1

Thanks James

As an additional thought, you should to define your scope as well: as a verse (for verse end) or sentence or clause (&c). The clause option only works if you have the syntax module for that text installed (for GNT-T and HMT-W4) I think.

If you don't define your scope, it Wil default to a verse.

Edited by Ken Simpson

If you are looking for the exact location as that in Mark 16:8, you don't need a syntax search (defined technically as Accordance defines a 'syntax search'). You can use the field to specify that you are looking for the word to occur at the end of a clause with this: gar <WITHIN 1 Words> [Field End]

Working from the iOS, I'm not sure why James' search yields only one result (Mark 16:8), but when increasing to within 3 words that result is absent but others are present, such as John 13:13 where the sentence in NA27 ends in γαρ.

As for the OP in relation to the ending of Mark, the real importance is not whether a sentence may end with γαρ (since it does so even in the long ending), but whether sizable compositions ever ended so. I think there is enough evidence now that composers on occasion did in fact end their compositions with γαρ.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

Edited by Jonathan C. Borland

Working from the iOS, I'm not sure why James' search yields only one result (Mark 16:8), but when increasing to within 3 words that result is absent but others are present, such as John 13:13 where the sentence in NA27 ends in γαρ.

As for the OP in relation to the ending of Mark, the real importance is not whether a sentence may end with γαρ (since it does so even in the long ending), but whether sizable compositions ever ended so. I think there is enough evidence now that composers on occasion did in fact end their compositions with γαρ.

Sincerely,

Jonathan C. Borland

I suspect the iOS/Mac difference may be related to the scope (although I haven't verified this; once I get a sec to check I will).

EDIT: Just checked (as I was seasoning the broccoli), I can get the same results. You just need to ensure that you set the scope to clause.

Edited by James Tucker

Very cool, James, and amazing that the iOS Accordance can do searches like this. Thanks for the tip.